something different | Page 7 | SouthernPaddler.com

something different

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Oh, I get it. An hour or so of work in the morning and the rest of the day free to "play". After all, it wouldn't be a good idea to do anything around the shop that would stir up any dust. :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joey, yer a sly and suspicious dog. You projected your sneaky tricks over onto other fellas who are honest, clean, thrifty, reverent, and brave. Naughty naughty. We all know that neither Keith nor Seedtick would slip away to the fishing hole when there's work to be done.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I wouldn't blame them if they did slip off to do a little fishin' or log huntin'. When (if) I get to retire, I sure don't want to have to punch a time clock on any of my hobbies.

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Well goes to show what some of you guys actually do know!!! A smart individual would know that you never waste one single moment of the day standing around watching varnish dry or hanging out watching Opra and eating bonbons or chips, especially if this includes fishing. The good Lord does not take a single minute of your preapproved time here on Earth if you take some of it and go fishing.

But also during that time if you catch fish, you are actually doing double duty providing one a meal too of healthy proportions. According to all the experts, doing so will actually be extending ones time on Earth to build more boats and to post more pictures here on this forum . Don't you guys understand the underlying issues that Frick and Frack is trying to teach you along with some woodworking skills with those old tools too???

But as a side note, if you take the advice of some of the spammers too, there are further ways of maximizing ones enjoyment too between sanding and varnishing and fishing too. Life is really good for the old folks and can also be good to your young bucks if you take heed to all this post. :)

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
Stick by me, Joey; I'll give you lessons in laziness, the world of practice naps, and disorganization.
One learns so much on this site. I started using this site to learn from all the knowledgeable and talented members . Have some times felt inferior to people with so much talent. Now I don't have to stand in awe I have learned where my natural abilities and skills are. I have NEVER had to take a lesson in laziness, nor practice a nap, and disorganization is as easy as breathing. I will say I practice disorganisation as often as I can, only because I want to elevate it from just clutter to an art form. :lol:

beekeeper
Ponder this. If one participates in lessons, wouldn't that take an effort and be contridictive to being lazy? :?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
islandpiper said:
Jack, just a little aside.......too bad about your nap. Keep in mind that when you die you get to sleep forever. So, what's one shortened nap in the whole big picture?
'Twas but a wee favor, from a balmy friend. I needs must remember to write one day, and thank him. Words fail me now.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
back to the skiff,

put the bolt in the joug sides

DSC05250.jpg

attach the sides to the skiff

DSC05251.jpg

about the only thing left in construction is the horizontal board across the top of the joug sides that hold the oarlocks
we almost got around to it but Piper showed up with some french fries from mickey d's and we stopped

it was past lunchtime anyway and we always enjoy a visit from Piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Nice job, guys. Elegant looking craft. Those type of rowing skiffs were pretty much gone when I was growiing up. We did have quite a few square ended bateaus around though. They had been mostly used for really heavy work like hauling firewood and building materials and picking moss. My grandpaw ( we called him PaPere) used a bateau with a removeable joug. That was pretty common around here. It was a one piece unit with angled braces going out from a center plank, that the rower stood on, out over the gunwales. The cross piece that held them in place was attatched to the braces so it rested right on the gunwales for support. It could be taken out and used in another boat or for cleaning and repairs. Pretty slick set-up.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
For any other fellas who've been overseas in the Pacific, they'll likely also see the similarity of that picture to boat shops in the Philippines and Japan. Probably in China too, but I haven't been to mainland China. You guys truly are a few hundred years behind your time. You must rode in on a moon beam?

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
You fellers are mighty hard on those hard working fellers. They slave away all day and then come here to socialize and share their wisdum, but with no peace and quiet is to be had. :twisted:

islandpiper

It is apparent in seeing this otherwise fine craft that these fellows left it on the two sawhorses too long. It has taken a horrible sag in the middle. I suppose it will fit into the trough of the waves just fine, but going over the crest of the next one will be a wet procedure.

Lesson learned today: if you are going to visit Keith and Seedtick take more than one little helping of french fries. I'll let you all know how the scars look when i get the bandages off.

As usual their shop was spic and span,and there was lots of work going on. In all honesty these fellows have it all figured out and are living the life the rest of us wish we could. Their work is historically correct and i have yet to see a boat come out of their shop that I would not trust my life to.

Next time I'll bring more fries.

piper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
the end is near (of the building part anyway)

here's the finished joug minus the oarlocks

DSC05254.jpg

we'll be making the oars next but i will start a thread in the paddle making forum on them

unless anyone has any questions, the next posting will be after all the varnish is on

thanks for all the nice compliments, it was a fun build

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Looks like y'all work harder and are more productive without company. Looks like two boards were added to day. Only did one the day I visited. :wink: Looking great. Pictures really don't do it justice. Hope I can come back and see it after the 87 or what ever number of coats of finish you guys do.

beekeeper

Steve

Dang. . .if that feller youse amkin' dat fer changes his mind, ya'll kin sen' it to me 'n' Susie up here in I-Dee-Ho!

Seed... Keith... . . ya'll done good. . . Can't wait for the final shots. . . what's been posted already show a beautiful boat as it. . .I bet that baby shines when you're finally finished. . . .

Oyster

Dec 5, 2008
OBX North Carolina
Two boards, those guys worked their butts off today...... :lol: Liable need a vacation for about a month to take that refresher course on laziness...If not they may loose their certification you know. :roll: :lol: :oops: Pretty work!