Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck | Page 42 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tales from the Log of the Ruptured Duck

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You're right; pictures are good reminders. And, do a good job of depicting what we're trying to say. I try to make a few notes along the way, too.

Breath taking sites, far vistas, little posies and pretty stones, smiles on faces of people, ice cream shops, brooks and streams, colorful butterflies, fish jumping in a pond, eagles, belted kingfishers, partridges, flashing cardinals, bounteous clouds that look like castles and dragons, and a welcome cup of coffee. These and more are parts of our trips.

That second bottle of water is wanted, indeed it's welcome. But, those third and fourth botles could have been left behind. There are enough towns where I can refill, so extras weren't needed. A cigar to enjoy at a rest stop is welcome too.

But, for now, all of these have to wait for better weather. sigh

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That second bottle of water is wanted, indeed it's welcome. But, those third and fourth botles could have been left behind. There are enough towns where I can refill, so extras weren't needed. A cigar to enjoy at a rest stop is welcome too.

Jack...
I found a way to beat those third and forth bottles seven ways past Sunday.
If no towns are around and lets say , paddling down a stream , plenty of water is available and this makes it drinkable.

Biking or hiking , streams , creeks , lakes , ponds or even the farmers horse trough , if there is water in it.
You can get anything from a .06 liter to a 3 liter bottle for the water to be filtered with. Fill the container with the dirty water and run it threw the filter into your drinking water bottle. The whole unit is just a couple of ounces and packs down really small.
If anything ....It's a nice insurance policy about drinkable water being available. Even some of the available water ( Non Bottled ) you will find in towns.

https://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-BeFree-Water-Filtration-System/dp/B01LZB9UQE

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Clean water is critical. Over the years, I've paid extra to ensure that I had the very best purifiers available. I've eaten some crazy meals in camp, but have never been sick.
I like the looks of this filter, Chuck. But, the places that I stop for fillups also sell other stuff. Stuff like ice cream, apple pie, hamburgs, beer, etc. Sometimes, free water costs a little bit more. ;-)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
SNOWY DAYS OF DREAMING

Sitting here, looking at snow, and planning bike trips. Of the dozen that we're kicking around, I'll mention a couple.

One, that we've started to explore already, is Alma to Greenville. I estimate it as 26 miles. We'll actually ride much more than that; probably about twice that distance. We pick a stretch to ride, and park somewhere near the middle of that. We ride toward one end, stop for coffee-ice cream-apple pie (any good target of opportunity), and then ride back toward the car. Then the same thing in the other direction. Should problems arise, the car is closer than if we had parked at an end.

Once we reach Greenville, there are overlapping trails all around, across, and through the town. As well as more of those pleasant "targets of opportunity". We could easily spend a whole day just in the town. This trail is near enough, and is punctuated with enough little towns, that it lends itself to day trips. And, there are enough woodsy stretches within the linear park right of way (ROW) that camping is relatively easy.

What we've found are areas with lots of trees, but not a lot of flat spots. When they were constructing the original RR bed in the 1800s, they whopped and chopped as necessary within the 100 foot wide ROW to construct a good, solid roadbed for the stone ballast, wooden ties, and steel rails. They weren't considering what a couple of guys may want to do a century downstream. So, we're looking at camping in hammocks, not tents. Lighter weight too.

Another trail is further away and longer. I estimate the trail from Baldwin to Midland as about 90 to 100 miles. The range is because of two fsctors. First is inaccuracy of measuring, and the second is affected by just where we want to consider as the end of our trail. I don't want to ride too far into Midland; I don't want to be riding a laden bike in a big city. And - about 5 miles out of town is an (1) ice cream store right next door to a (2) craft beer brewery. I'm thinking that once I reach this place, I'm probably going to lose interest in going further?

Ahh, the dreams. And then. . . . . . the actual. Gonna be GOOD!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A PERSONAL PREFLIGHT INSPECTION

Pilots inspect not only the aircraft before they fly. Wise pilots inspect themselves too. We don't have to be about to kick the tires and light the fires of a plane to pause for a second thought about being fully ready, willing, and able. Setting to work, setting to play, driving a car, or maybe just living a day longer are all reasons to be ready. This checklist can be helpful. "I'M SAFE is the title, that serves as a handy reminder

"I" stands for ILLNESS. Anything physical or psychological that detracts from our full performance can fit here. Physical distress like soreness, intestinal disorder, and factors of any sort will certainly detract from our best. So can psychological factors such as worry or grief.
"M" stands for effects of any MEDICATION we're taking. Even over the counter medicines can cause problems.
"S" stands fir STRESS. Sources here can be environmental, personal, physical, emotional, etc. They are distractors. Heat, cold, noise, worry, an ingrown toenail, etc. can do damage.
"A" stands for ALCOHOL. In moderation it can be enjoyable. But it can cause trouble too.
"F" is for FATIGUE. Being tired or sleepy makes it difficult to do a good job at anything, except falling asleep.
"E" is for EATING. Nutrition, clean foodstuffs, good digestion, etc. are all parts of being healthy.

It takes us a minute to do a bit of self analysis to ensure being ready to do well. And, there were times when I wish that I had.

Last edited:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A PERSONAL PREFLIGHT INSPECTION

"I" stands for ILLNESS. Anything physical or psychological that detracts from our full perfirmance can fit here. Physical distress like soreness, intestinal disorder, and factors of any sort will certainly detract from our best. So can psychological factors such as worry or grief.
"M" stands for effects of any MEDICATION we're taking. Even over the counter medicines can cause problems.
"S" stands fir STRESS. Sources here can be environmental, personal, physical, emotional, etc. They are distractors. Heat, cold, noise, worry, an ingrown toenail, etc. can do damage.
"A" stands for ALCOHOL. In moderation it can be enjoyable. But it can cause trouble too.
"F" is for FATIGUE. Being tired or sleepy makes it difficult to do a good job at anything, except falling asleep.
"E" is for EATING. Nutrition, clean foodstuffs, good digestion, etc. are all parts of being healthy.

Sounds like a good process ( check list ) to do before attempting anything.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
It is. I've grounded myself several times. And, maybe should have another time or two. Before starting to drive on a long trip, for instance, it's a good idea to self-analyze. "Should I be doing this?"

Or, before going to a family member's home for a holiday party - "Should I do this?" ;-)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
LIGHTENING UP (DOWN?) CAMP GEAR

Like waves going up and down, the weight of my camp gear has gone up and down over the years. This year, I'm working to get it down. sigh.

This will (or at least - SHOULD) be a methodical, step by step procedure. Traditionally, the first weight reductions are the cheapest. So called "low hanging fruit". Later on, the task becomes more expensive. That would be a more comforting thought if the early steps were actually a lot cheaper.

My first two steps will produce an estimated 2 pounds for no additional money, only work. Now, while I'm allergic to work - it can cause hives! - work is fascinating to me. I can sit and watch it for hours on end! I'm simply replacing my existing one man tent with my one man Hennessey hammock. This will use a lighter weight sleeping pad, and eliminate the visqueen "bathtub" that I use inside the tent to insure water doesn't get in.

The second step is to leave behind the two, aluminum poles, and replace them under my rain fly with my two kayak paddles (one primary, one spare). The paddles dissemble by coming apart in the middle, and I may want them to be shorter than full length. I can simply lash the two sections together in shorter lengths to suit my needs at the time. That will work for canoeing. When biking, I'll carry just the aluminum poles.

The third step will reduce about 4 pounds, and require some work. My folding table is nice, but surely a long ways from necessary, and weighs about 5 pounds.. Leaving it home is easy. But, being a bit lazy, I don't want to eat off the ground. So I plan to.use some scrap plywood to make a littke table about 10" X 12", with dowel legs to insert. I'll guess it to weigh, say, 1 pound.

Step 4 can reduce another estimated 2 pounds, and it has already cost me about $45. My comfy, folding camp stool weighs, say, 3 pounds. I've ordered a Therm-a-Rest Trekker Chair. It's a a "skeleton" stadium seat without a cushion. It weighs about 11 ounces. You insert your sleeping pad, inflate, and sit. It's made for self inflating mattresses - duh - but reviewers say that a Ridge Rest works too. I won't be sitting at "seated height", anout 15" off the ground. I'll be sitting at ground level. So, this 82 year old body will have to do some hands-and-knees type activity, fully accompanied by appropriate grunts, groans, and complaints. (another sigh)

So, if my estimates are in the ballpark, that should be 7-8 pounds lighter. That part is definitely a step in a right direction. I think, and hope, that I can take that step. And a few more just like it.

Reactions: grandpa paddler

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack....

It's fun but aggravating when trying to cut the weight of your gear and still keep some comfort items. It can be done with thought and perseverance.
I finally managed to get my backpack and all the gear to the weight that you figure yours will be reduced , between the 7 to 8 pounds base weight. ( No consumables included )
As far as sitting on the ground , No Thanks. Gravity is to strong when a person does that , I want to keep some air between myself and the ground. Besides a hammock is a great chair , recliner , bed and even a swing all rolled into one.

Even if you are a tent camper theirs even a hammock that's a chair. Plus if you are using a hammock it can be used as a gear hammock ( a place to put everything off the ground ) at night under your hammock.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A couple of years ago, two guys on a canoe trip had those ridiculous, teeny weeny, little cloth-type bucket seats. They would have been comfurtable to use - at seating height. But the chairs had legs only about 6" - 7" long!

Geezers cannot sit down that far under full control. At some level in between, say, 15"-13" above the ground, gravity overcomes balance, muscular control, determination, virginity, and Coriolis force. We crash down, quickly reaching terminal velocity just before contacting a chair that looks for all the world like something that belongs in either a kindergarten class room, or a little girls' tea party.

And, a grown man cannot arise with any dignity from one of these contraptions. He must ungraciously roll out onto the ground and struggle up to a standing position. Sometimes incorporating a short, running start. And, I'll have to get up out of my new apparatus like that too. But, mine weighs a pound less than one of those contraptions, and costs $100 less.

Maybe I could call my stumbling, groaning gyrations a new dance step? Something like the "Paul Bunyan Reel"? Or the "Mike Fink Stomp"? Or the "Judge Roy Bean Verdict"?

Does anybody know where I can get an old weather balloon - and a tank of helium?

Last edited:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack...

You are correct about those chairs , while the idea was good the actual item isn't for us older folks. I got one to have when camping. Thought it might be a good idea so I bite the bullet and sprung for one. Especially liked the idea that it weighed only a pound. ( Helinox chair zero )
The Grandson has had it for a while now and really likes it but what would you expect from a 8 year old that's tops in his gymnastics class , playing soccer , studying Karate and snowboarding ( Canada ) when there is snow.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
But even then, those spikey, little legs drill right down into the dirt!

Get 4 old tennis balls. drill a hole the size of the legs in each one. When you want to sit in the chair, slip the balls on the legs... problem solved (sinking in the dirt wise) . I'll admit that getting out of my Kelty is a pretty ungraceful sight to behold. The chair is light, packs small, and is comfortable to sit in so I don't care if people get a chuckle watching me exit the chair. Consider it free entertainment. I wasn't impressed with any of the Helinox chairs I tried. I felt like they were going to collapse at any moment. A tripping buddy had one and after he sat in my Kelty, he ordered one for himself (he's also a gear snob - nothing cheap for Kevin.

BTW, Happy New Year to one and all:D

Last edited:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Aye god Jimmie - you and I will be a sight to behold Both of us, struggling to arise, stumbling, groaning, writhing (at least one of us), and gracefully tumbling around. A couple of geezers doing the "Monster Mash"!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Continuing to reduce the weight of my camp gear, I'll use my Littlbug Junior twig stove more. I've carried it as a back up stove for years. At only 5.1 ounces, it's pretty easy to carry. While biking, it will be my only heat source. In the canoe, I will carry my Svea 123R as backup. Only weight savings here will be carrying less fuel. I used to carry the Svea as my primary stove, so carried more fuel. I'll estimate a 2 pound reduction. I used to carry too much fuel.

We've talked about a lot of kinds of stoves on here. The Littlbug is similar to the little alcohol stoves in light weight and simplicity. It burns any kind of wood, from pine cones up through oak and hickory. All I "cook" in camp is water. I heat water for tea, and rehydrating my meals. Most any heat source suffices.

Www.littlbug.com if you're curious.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack...
Not sure about the Litterbug but the Solo Stove Lite I have I can use a small alcohol burner ( Trangia or Evernew ) in it as a second heat source. It is great for just heating up some water.
A lighter stove I have is the Firebox Nano in Titanium , it will also accept one of the small alcohol stoves as a 2nd heat source. it even folds into a really small light weight package.

Three different small alcohol stoves that I use asr a 2nd heat source in my wood burner stoves ( excluding the home made ones ) ....
The Evernew Titanium burner weighs 1.2 ounces , about $42.00 ( cools down the fastest of all of them)
The Trangia weighs 3.8 ounces , costs less ( and is made of Brass ) about $15.00.
One more that's really good and light weight ( 1 ounce ) and low cost ( $18.00 ) , The White Box Stove. This one is designed to set a pot on it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Some nice stoves out there for us. And it's good to be out there using them. Sipping tea/coffee/scotch, etc. watching for deer, mink, wolves, kingfishers, pheasants, grouse, sunsets, cloud formations that remind us of bears or dragons or big boats. And - using our chosen gear.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Some nice stoves out there for us. And it's good to be out there using them. Sipping tea/coffee/scotch, etc. watching for deer, mink, wolves, kingfishers, pheasants, grouse, sunsets, cloud formations that remind us of bears or dragons or big boats. And - using our chosen gear.
No Grouse ( Birds ) down here but we do grouse about the weather now and then. :rolleyes:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
One of our Earthly privileges is to grouse and complain. And weather is a prime target for all of us to grouse about. I think that it was Mark Twain (Samuel Langhorn Clemens) who said that, "Everyone complains about the weather. But, nobody does anything about it."

Wildlife has always fascinated me. Plants and animals of all kinds are so plentiful, and so remarkable, that learning about them is a forever journey. And as we learn about them, we are learning about ourselves. We're part of the web, part of the network. If the history of Earth were condensed into only one year, mankind has been here only the last few minutes, last few seconds of that year.

But my god - we're arrogant about ourselves.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If the history of Earth were condensed into only one year, mankind has been here only the last few minutes, last few seconds of that year.

But my god - we're arrogant about ourselves.

The Earth & life's time spam was explained to me this way.
Take the height of the Empire State Building. That represents the time the Earth has been here.
Now add a child's old fashion wood block on the top of it. That represents the time life has been here.
Now add a nickle to the top of the wood block and that's how long mankind has been here.