Touring Pirogue T-V AKA Brazos Queen | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

Touring Pirogue T-V AKA Brazos Queen

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
On the last leg will will you be in the TRRBQ. Traveling over that milage not knowing the Brazo what will you care as for creature comfort?

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
One thing for certian, friend Ron. Anyone of us here ever run into that boat anywhere by chance there sho' won't be any need for ya to intoduce yerelf that a great big fo' sho'.

You are blessed with the touch my friend. The "Brazos Queen" is a winner.

Steve

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Ozark
Here are some pics the back hatch loaded

IM001991.jpg

inside that hatch right now is coffe pot tent cot latern stove machete
hatchet 2 tarps skillet and pot flashlights extra propane shovel and I still have room for a couple gallons of water
I did not load them but the front deck will carry grill extra paddle sleeping bag pillow clothes and groceries It is bigger than the back hatch

IM001992.jpg

IM001993.jpg

and if I need it a dry bag can be strapped to back deck.
I should have plenty of room for extras.

Jack I don,t know about them two guys but there cousin lies down the river a ways ,plays a banjo

Steve I apprecaite the compliment and I been told I was teeched in the head before.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jack
It should be trimmed out pretty good I set my seat a little foreward and I can add extra water in the front hatch if I need to. I will load her and take a short overnighter that will tell me if I need to rearrange things.
So far I am just as tickled as a kid with a big navel
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
On this last trip Joe (lazyriverguy) had the ideal thing for you to use.

It is a tripod with a circular grill , suspended in the center. The grill can be lowered or raised for whatever you want to use it for. By using the chain that holds (suspends) the grill.

He would get a small fire going and put his coffee pot on there over the flame and then adjust it as needed , when that was done then cook a steak or anything on the grill.

The tripod broke down into three sections for storage in the boat. If you take a good look at the far right side in this picture you can see it sitting there since it was not in use.
If memory serves me correctly he got it at Tractor Supply for a few bucks , I think about $20.00 and it has a multitude of cooking uses.

Going counter clock wise from Mac with the hat and jeans , Joe Fennell , Van , Joe (lazyriverguy) and Harry. For anyone with snow on there roof , sorry guy's... it was shorts for us with upper 60's in the morning , Winter in Florida.:D
Dec07%20015.jpg

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
Here is the grill I use it folds flat buy just flipping the legs over. Right now it is 24 inches long ,most of this trip I will be solo , so I am fixing to cut it down to 13 inches.

IM001994.jpg

IM001996.jpg

really compact and sturdy.
Ron
I have used the tripod grills and they are great but on this trip I am trying to stay small and light as I can

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Took a saw to the Brazos Queen tonight.
She use to look like this

IM001956.jpg

I cut this out of her today

IM002333.jpg

now she looks like this

IM002334.jpg

This boat was built from a wood that is junk and just an 1/8 inch . I learned some lessons there
4mm laun is my wood never use 1/8 again.
This poor boat has caught it ,I fell hard on the combing and cracked it, it was blown down a sandbar a hundred feet ,broke off two rod holders ,been paddled a couple hundred miles on the Brazos. She is just to good a boat to scrap so she is fixing to get a face lift.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
One of the things I wanted to do was change the cockpit configuration up..
I am going to widen it 4 1/2 inches ,I cut the top deck out so my feet will be completely clear of the deck. I am an old , set in my way kind of guy ,so just naturaly I wear boots most of the time even paddling,and they sure help on the rocks on the Brazos. I needed more room.

IM002335.jpg

cut out the sides and coming

IM002338.jpg

started rebuilding the cockpit.

IM002336.jpg

Thats it for now

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Hi Ron
Got question Did you build the brazos queen out of luan? I agree the cockpit needed to be wide I like lots of room.
Joe
PS ( the Ocklawaha Queen is almost done)

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Little update on the queen
As I said earlier in this post the cockpit is opened up 4 1/2 inches and wide open from bulkhead to bulkhead. Inside of the cockpit sprayed an almond color

IM002364.jpg

rod holders were reinforced under the deck with some pads and then remountad

IM002360.jpg

I raised the seat to 9 1/2 inches from the floor,put in rails that center my seat and hold it in position but still let me take it out of the boat

IM002361.jpg

under the seat I built two compartments that hold to plastic tackle boxes

IM002362.jpg

there is a third compartment for my machete and sponge

IM002363.jpg

change my tie down for the cooler so it was held in by 2 cabiners but you could still open the lid while it was secure.

IM002365.jpg

Ok thats all for now ,a couple more things and she will be ready.
Ron

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Does the cooler lid have a latch, or does it just kinda snap in place?

My point is, if you got the boat upside down, would the contents of the cooler dump out?

George