Two Small tear style canoe trailer's | Page 10 | SouthernPaddler.com

Two Small tear style canoe trailer's

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron...

That sure looks like a go anywhere outfit , reminds me of one I saw that is almost the same. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Considering the two yaks and the camper I would say that 17 is not that bad for traveling , especially going up those hills you have out there. Going down them is a lot easier on the mileage. :wink:

Chuck.
PS. We had one of those Brazos River rains here last night , fireworks all around and rain in sheets. It did come down.

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Ya know Ron if'n ya got rid of them ugly store bought panels on the jeep an replaced them with Plywood you might get eighteen MPG! Am impressed, with that little package ya got all ya need for a week or two living, and having fun away from people an places for rock bottom prices. Enjoy :)
Regards John.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Friday morning before the boat builders bash I still had a ways to go.
install a jack

IM002319.jpg

weld on the trailer coupler chains and wire the trailer

IM002320.jpg

and of course I had a short in the trailer plug on the jeep I had to run down.
Mounted back lights and license plate oh yea had to go regester it so I could get a license plate

IM002318.jpg

Later Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I was hooked up and left Sat morning early ,first time to pull the trailer and have two yaks on top,the little four banger handled it with ease, and I averaged 17 miles to the gallon so I was happy with that. I was nearly 8 ft tall ,I wasn't sure how it would handle it.
Trailer pulled straight and true no bobbles.
Darrel and me in the same place ,yep a heck of a storm at the bashs,well I just dropped the trailer in the sight and went looking for the wood boats. I finally found them enjoyed seeing the boats and folks. by the I was wet cold and misrable,I am just opisite of Kim a paddler that was at the bash I like hot weather and hate being cold.
I went back to the camper plugged in the lights put a pot of coffe on ,in about two minutes I was opening a vent and window nice and cozy. I drank the coffe laid down and crashed for a couple hours ,dang bed sleeps good.
It has a real mattress

IM002322.jpg

I can sit up on the bed and still have plenty head room.

IM002321.jpg

Picture from the bed foreward
IM002323.jpg

This is not the stove I will use but it worked for this weekend.

My first trip with my rig was a success, no leaks ,open the door and go in,no tent cot sleeping bag to worry about, warm dry and comfortable, and It took all of five minutes to break camp

I am no where close to complete on this project but it is campable and I am very happy with the TEXAS TEPEE

Later
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ron...

That looks like a good comfortable rig for out bumming around and having a good time. Now if you just had a Bear Skin Rug on the floor. You do know most of the Tepees had animal skins for the flooring. :D

The camping stove sure warmed up the tent that one early morning and in the Tepee it should act like a blast furnace since you have a solid ( insulated) enclosure and not material like in the tent. One thing that might be nice to have inside with you , especially if you are going to use a stove inside and that would be a small ( dry chemical) fire extinguisher someplace in easy reach.
Reason I mentioned that is that you never know when one will be needed. Went to the store just a few minutes ago and a new vehicle was on the side of the road , smoke boiling out from under the hood. The fire Dept was there trying to open the hood and put the fire out. Fortunately the guy was really close to the fire dept. That has me thinking that I am going to mount an small extinguisher in the Jeep. Best to have it and not need it then to not have it and need it. :wink:

I found that with the boat ( canoe) on the top any wind has a tendency to blow the vehicle around or rock it to a degree , even when those 18 wheelers pass me by. I would think with two boats up there it would rock you a bit more. The only time the wind did not bother me was when I have that skinny kayak ( the Pygmy Coho) on the top. Plus the mileage drops a bit with the boat up on top , with just the little trailer behind the buggy and no boat , the mileage stays the same.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
That is a good point.
There is one mounted behind the drivers seat in the jeep and one in the left side cabinet in the trailer, also a set of reflecter ,those were from my driving days.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Chuck
That is a good point.
There is one mounted behind the drivers seat in the jeep and one in the left side cabinet in the trailer, also a set of reflecter ,those were from my driving days.
Ron

Should of known it. :oops: :oops:

Just thinking that when using the camper all of my stuff is packed in there for my camping enjoyment when on the road and car camping. I do cook /heat something up as a drink or meal and want to play it safe while in the camper.

Then the camping stuff is packed and transferred over to the back of the buggy to be loaded in the boat when getting ready to hit a river. I figure it is a lot safer locked in the camper when traveling then in the back of a rag top buggy. Especially when I stop at some fast food chomp an choke place. Just another advantage of those little campers.

Chuck.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Guys,
Sure ya'll heard this before,but if you didn't. Do not put F.E.'s in a vehicke that has powder in it. 'THEY' say the vibration packs the powder into just about a solid mass and will not come out properly. Matter of fact I'm sure there is an expert out there amongs't yall that would know if that is an Old Wifes Tale (pounce on it while you can) or not :?:
Bob

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net
Wannabe said:
Guys,
Sure ya'll heard this before,but if you didn't. Do not put F.E.'s in a vehicke that has powder in it. 'THEY' say the vibration packs the powder into just about a solid mass and will not come out properly. Matter of fact I'm sure there is an expert out there amongs't yall that would know if that is an Old Wifes Tale (pounce on it while you can) or not :?:
Bob
That's the first time I've heard this, so I did a bit of research. Kidde's commercial vehicle line uses powder. Most of them use sodium bicarbonate. Baking powder. They meet DOT regs, so I guess they're probably OK. Poke Here.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Dm
Liability laws being what they are, what I have heard was an Old Wifes Tale. That being said, If I had to use one with powder in it I would pull it out of the car,turn it upside down and bump it a couple of quick licks. Would want to get maximum use out of the powder. Thanks for the info. Just goes to show ya, If some one on here doesn't know something someone knows where to go to find the answer. :D
Bob

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Chuck
Most of my paddling gear will store under the bed, on this trip I had a light sleeping bag.twp Yak paddles lifevest two fishing rod tackle box and the storage wasnt half full.
Ron

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Trying to remember here, three classes of fire: electrical, hydrocarbon (read petroleum), and other stuff like wood or furniture etc. As I remember, CO2 is the only one effective on all three? Someone may be more expert than this memory, I hope.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
Well Ron,
One down and one to go. Or are you already finished that one too. :shock: How many orders do you have lined up yet? The bad thing about being infected with HOGS is that once you get into something fairly good, something else catches your interest and off you go like the bunny rabbit on TV. :roll:
Bob

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Kayak Jack said:
Trying to remember here, three classes of fire: electrical, hydrocarbon (read petroleum), and other stuff like wood or furniture etc. As I remember, CO2 is the only one effective on all three? Someone may be more expert than this memory, I hope.

Class A--anything that leaves ash, wood, cloth, gunpower, etc.
Class B--electrical
Class C--flamable liquids

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Ronnie,

I meant fer ya ta build one. They claim the setup jest takes a minute 'er two. I seen anuther one at the Lost Mines last week. Seems it iz the same az yer trailer, cept the top unfolds 'n makes a teepee. Bein' able ta stand up mite be nice if ya git a long spell of bad weather up in the mountains 'n gotta stay inside? Nice ta change clothes standin' up too. If ya paint it camo, ya mite use it az a huntin' stand too? [grin]

regards
bearridge

ps I reckon ya'll kin build a camper trailer bottom with two top panels that unfold and make a upside down "V". I figger some tent material with zipper windows would be good on each side? Now that wont be az warm az yer camper trailer, but that iz when ya git ta pull out them "heater bags"? Mebbe fire up the stove 'n make some hot java? That way the lower trailer dont catch az much wind 'n the tent/window sides make the whole thing weigh less.....good on the gas tank when yer drivin' up the Rocky Mountains. If ya dont care fer the tent material idea, I reckon some good plywood side walls kin fit inside 'n attach az the sides when it comes time ta set it up?

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Got the little 5200 btu ac installed in the trailer did a awful good job at the kayak race,them folks at the race like the teardrop and the wood boats.
Ron

islandpiper

Jack, in nearly all cases it is just better to let a kitchen or an automobile burn than to use a CO2 fire extinguisher and risk enhancing global worming and drowning a polar bear. Thanks for understanding, your friend, Al Gore

Jack here: Oh, Al; I understand completely. Thank you for your spicy (sage?) advice.