Hairies South Wind (Southern Cross) | SouthernPaddler.com

Hairies South Wind (Southern Cross)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

Finally made a start on my South Wind yesterday. Got about half the panels marked out. Soon as I get something worth taking a piccie of, will post here.

IsoRev01.jpg

FrontRev01-1.jpg

I bought one of these yesterday for cutting the panels. 41/2" blade and works a treat. Much quicker and cleaner cuts than a jig saw.
SWB01Medium.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks my brother from another mother. :D

Tis yet another custom Job by Matt, and I think he has raised the bar again. :D
It is a prototype, ocean touring/expedition canoe 17'9'' X 28",
very loosely based on the Sea 1 by Clipper Canoes.

I think load capacity will be arounbd 500 pounds and should be an ideal multiday/week boat for cruising our Great Sandy Straights.

I have been toying with the idea of attaching an Ama? and sailing her as a proa as well. :D :D

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
Wasn't sure to call it a "Kayak" or a "Decked Canoe". I like it though. Looks like lots of room, for a long Campin' trip. Looks like a real fun boat, Mate. Oh, Let us know how the new "Saw" works out. I was at Lowes today and looked at one. I'm starting my "WadeFish". Figured I'd continue on with my trusty "JigSaw".

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Re the saw,

It is brilliant! it has a laser light, that when aligned with the pencil libe cuts about 1/8th" to the left. This laser maks it very easy to cut to the marks without constanly watching the blade.

The cut itself is excellent, Very narrow kerf and is much cleaner and faster than a jigsaw.

Here is a piccie of my first practise cut in an old piece of scrap.

SWB02Medium.jpg

dawallace45

Mick

That is the exact model I want to get , is the laser adjustable at all ? I've noticed that on some tools the laser has just a slight bit of adjustment

I saw Micks plans when I was down there the other week and have to say they look like a winner , some of you know that I love open decked kayaks and this new plan from Mat will have all the good points of the Mill Creek but have far better tracking and speed

David

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi Dave,

No I don't think the laser is adjustable. They are available at Bunnings.
rough prices, Saw $100. battery $40 each Charger $40.00.

If you are lucky enough to find one, Ryobi also put out a combination kit comprising saw, 2 batteries and a charger for arounf $120.00. The buggers had sold out of them so I had to buy the component parts.

All the chippies down here love em and are snapping them us as soon as they become available.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I have a Japanese hand saw. Us rugged he-men use stuff like that. (So do cheapskates)

I think I paid almost $7.00 for mine and it has made six boats. Guess I will have to make one more to get my investment back. I ain't cheep , just squeak when I walk , guess it is the weight of my wallet and all of that stuff in it. The lop sided squeaky paddler an boat builder in Florida. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck.

dawallace45

Mick

Maybe Bunning's will have them on special when they open in Gladstone next month , may suddenly decide it's necessary for the new kitchen cabinets I'm building , don't have any money for toys at the moment but can spend for tools necessary for the house , just got a HVLP spray gun to do all the staining of the Kitchen , vanity , built-ins , Architrave and skirtings

David

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Here in the UK 'chippie' also means 'carpenter' (as opposed to a 'brickie' who lays bricks).

We also use 'chippie' for a chip shop. An emporium where you can purchase ambrosia in the form of fish and chips. The fish is battered and fried (coated in batter that is not smacked about) and the 'chips are 'fries' not to be confused with 'crisps' which are 'chips'.

All clear? Three nations separated by a common language :)

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
MMMmmmm Fish & Chips Mmm or as the New Zealanders say, Fush & Chups with two or three pints of cold larger sitting on the beach watching the sun go down. - heaven. :D

oh yeah, Matt - I still can't think of a suitable reply :oops: :lol: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Fish an chips , golly guys .... Chips are the California Highway Patrol men or CHIPS.

This world wide web sure gets confusing .... I always thought it was fish an grits with some moon shine , greens an Louisiana hot sauce the way southerners ( us normal folks ) have them.
Now for the Yankees it is , fish and baked beans and something called scotch.

Beans make gas so you can where the gas here in the states comes from ... Right Jack an Yak.

Them Yankees are always full of gas and some other stuff but we will not go there. :roll:

I have to warn you all ... If you ever camp with a Yankee , do not sit to close to the campfire when they are there warming there bodies..... That fire sure gets mighty big an hot at times. You will know when that happens because I saw one of them actually set his pants on fire. That campfire just jumped over to him and went right up his pant leg to get to the source of that highly flammable gas source. Who ever said fire was stupid :lol:
While he was a jumping around an cussing and swatting his britches we had fresh air to breath.
That is the truth so help me an if'n I am lying then I am typing this. :oops:

Chuckles