Jack's camp knife | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Jack's camp knife

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Here's waht I emailed to Joey:

If the knife is here then, I'll carry it on the Brazos. If not, I'll carry it first on the Au Sable River. Both are honorable rivers. Your creation will most likely get dedicated to Mother Nature on one of the two, unless I paddle the Red Cedar locally in between. I'll present it to God in heaven, and Mother Nature all around. It will then belong to you, me, and the Universe. I'll retain custodial responsibilities, though. ;=}}

I propose its first task in the Outback is to work on kindling for firewood. The knife and fire are two inventions (or discoveries) that rank high for mankind. Right up there with garlic, Dago red wine, and the wheel.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Here's waht I emailed to Joey:

If the knife is here then, I'll carry it on the Brazos. If not, I'll carry it first on the Au Sable River. Both are honorable rivers. Your creation will most likely get dedicated to Mother Nature on one of the two, unless I paddle the Red Cedar locally in between. I'll present it to God in heaven, and Mother Nature all around. It will then belong to you, me, and the Universe. I'll retain custodial responsibilities, though. ;=}}

I propose its first task in the Outback is to work on kindling for firewood. The knife and fire are two inventions (or discoveries) that rank high for mankind. Right up there with garlic, Dago red wine, and the wheel.

Jack, you sliver-tongued devil. I take pleasure in the fact that you will put "her" to good use in the wild places she was meant for. I hope she serves you well.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
And, oh, Jack, about the waterwheel powered sander. No can do. With a big rain, and a downstream wind the current in the bayou back of the house might just hit .8 mph ( yes, that's POINT 8 mph). :)

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Kayak Jack said:
I understand, 0.8 mph, Joey. That's about 0.0011 Mach.

I paddle at about 0.004 Mach

CHUCK!

Still got them speedin' tickets handy. Me thinks Jack's in need o' slowin' down thar, High Sheriff, Sir...afore he runs over somebody!!!!!

Steve

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
sheena's dad said:
Kayak Jack said:
I understand, 0.8 mph, Joey. That's about 0.0011 Mach.

I paddle at about 0.004 Mach

CHUCK!

Still got them speedin' tickets handy. Me thinks Jack's in need o' slowin' down thar, High Sheriff, Sir...afore he runs over somebody!!!!!

Steve

I have paddle with Jack and at the best all I could cite him for would be IMPEDING TRAFFIC. Might be able to add a additional charge of illegal parking in the boating lanes or impersonating a speed bump. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
He's right, ya know.

Actually, Chuckie was quite helpful at Outhouse Key Expedishun. He picked great restaurants, provided advice on lunar tide tables and events, navigated us into a sand bar on the return trip, and squoze up good lemon juice to dilute the rum.

He shared some of his knowledge of the area about trees, animals, fish (and other watery-type creatures), and helped out a young couple camped nearby. I'm kinda hoping that next time, he'll wear clothes around camp. He confused hell right out of two pelicans out looking for itty bitty worms to catch.

( Pelicans don't eat worms ( Vienna's) , smoked oysters or drink rum , it is them critters from Michigan , in vans, that do that.
Boy , I sure miss the Road Kill Cafe.:evil: Chuck.)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
It's time to give this chunk of steel a soul. While the propane furnace comes up to temperature, I heat up the quench oil to 120 degrees F.
heatingoil.jpg

It's kind of strange that 120 degree oil cools the blade faster than cold oil. It has to do with effecient heat transfer.

I get all the other things ready for the treatment-- a flie to check for hardness after the quench and wet towel on the right to cool the edge of the blade while tempering.

The blade goes into the furnace for 10 minutes until it becomes that beautiful cherry red color.

jackinfurnace.jpg

When the time is right, it comes out of the furnace and goes directly into the quench oil.
quenchjacks.jpg

Amid fire and smoke, a new weapon is born. 8)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I've seen knives made from meteorite steel. It has all kinds of inclusions of different metals. Very striking.

I did my usual torture testing of the blade. Doesn't go out of the shop unless it passes. This one passed with flying colors.
knifenearblock.jpg

knifeonblock.jpg

No nicks or dull spots in the edge. Still shaved after test. Jack, she's shaping up to be a good one. I have the handle scales expoxied on and curing. Will start shaping the handle tomorrow.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, that test will tell you a lot about a blade. If it's not tempered enough it could chip out, if it's tempered too much , the very edge could bend over. It also gives you a good idea if the sharpening angle is correct. It also passed the end grain slice test. I cut a thin shaving off of the end grain of the board. If the edge is the least bit dull, it just crumbles the wood fibers.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
We just got back from a weekend in Lafayette. I put the first coat of finish on the handle. That birdseye maple looks great. It will really contrast well with the mustard etch.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I will jot be proud, vain, and smug while wearing this knife.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, "proud" -- I will be honored. Go easy on the "vain" and "smug" though. :)

Sanded the "saturation coat" of TruOil.
aftersanding.jpg

Rubbed on another coat. The grain is starting to fill nicely.
secondtruoil.jpg

This is how I dealt with a little bit of sap wood on the bottom of the handle. Tried to match them up from side to side. Hard to see but it is the light color "V" shaped area at the bottom.
handlerear.jpg