Jack's camp knife | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Jack's camp knife

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Does it carve a Z in things?

Funny you should ask. Why, yes, it does.
zorro.jpg

Too bad it doesn't come with Catherine Zeta Jones. ... :cry:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Joey,

This iz mitey hard on me. A few years back an airgun pal found this deal on some ole Solingen http://wapurl.co.uk/?WXXCG71 steel blades fer a great price. I bought one package with 8-9 blades. I had no idea how ta put a handle on 'em, so they sat. One day Lance tole me bout hiz pal with a jewelry/knife store. I dropped off all my Solingen steel blades with this guy. I tole him I aimed ta swap some blades fer some handles. He sez "fine".

18 months later he iz still makin' excuses. I wish I coulda struck a deal with you. :cry:

respectfully
bearridge

Say what you will about the Ten Commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them. H. L. Mencken

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bear, I'd march right over to this guy's house and demand MY property back or he is in for some legal trouble. Have no use for cheaters or thieves.

Now, with blades in hand, Google "making knife handles". It's simple -- two pieces of wood and two pins. In a pinch you could use pallet lumber and 2 nails, or brazing rod or wooden dowels or just glue them suckers on with epoxy. Unless you use a knife like a cold chisel, you'll never break that epoxy bond.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack's knife is finished and shipped. Should make it there in time for the Brazos trip. I promised Jack that he would be the first to see it so y'all will have to wait for Jack to post the pictures. :cry:

It came out great. The blade heat treated out nice and hard. Ought to hold a wicked edge. The birdseye maple is really set off by the dark patina of the blade.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, Baldy. Coming from a man that makes art with thin strips of cypress, that is indeed high praise. My knives are decent at best. I've gone to knife shows and talked to some of the best in the business and I don't even tell them I make knives, their's are that flawless.

On the other hand, a friend and I were at an archery shoot and saw a couple of knives a vendor had there. When we walked away, my friend said " Those knives were nice, but they were too........perfect. Looked like they were made by a machine.". Mine definitely look like they were made by a person! :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Jack's knife is finished and shipped. Should make it there in time for the Brazos trip. I promised Jack that he would be the first to see it so y'all will have to wait for Jack to post the pictures. :cry:

Joey

Then we will never see a picture of the completed knife ... Jack does not do pictures , much less post them on here. There are some things you just can't teach an old dog and that is one of them.

Besides how would he take or post a picture with all his fingers wrapped in bandages. Who knows we might be calling him .... NUBS...or ..STUBBY... really soon , after he opens the package.

Chuck.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
ok guys when I get Jack down here in Texas I will take pics ad post them
of the knife not Jack :lol:

Ron

( If you snap shots of Jack use a throw away camera , not your good one..Chuck)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I will post some pictures of the knife, but I just wanted Jack to be the first to see it. Will post them when I get an OK from Jack.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Go ahead and put on the pictures, Joey; I'll still be the first to see the knife. And pictures will whet my appetite. (May whet an appetite or two amongst other paddlers who would like a good knife too)