Jack's camp knife | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Jack's camp knife

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dang Joey,

That iz some fine work. The blade iz special, but that scabbard aint bad at all. I used ta tool leather 'n made a heap a stuff (mostly belts, sandals 'n guitar straps), but never tried a scabbard. What keeps the blade frum cuttin' the waxed thread? That handle iz special too. I aim ta go see the fella who haz my Solingen blanks Monday. If he dont belly up ta the bar, I may take 'em all back.

respectfully
bearridge

I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo Galilei

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Br'r Bear, Joey did a nice job of a custom handle, didn't he. I asked that it be larger on the ends as viewed from the side, and larger in the middle as viewed from above. This fits my grimy little hand well, and doesn't slip when wet or gooey.

Birdseye maple is a treasured wood. Craftsmen of Pennsylvania used it sometimes for marked effect in the stocks of their squirrel guns.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, just use good old fashioned Johnson paste wax. I wouldn't store the knife in the sheath for months on end. As for the knife, treat it like a good duck gun--use it hard, clean and dry it and apply a little oil when you put it away for a while.

Jack here: Thanks, Joey. I have Johnson's paste wax already. Will use it hard, clean and oil it, and put it away.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
bearridge said:
What keeps the blade frum cuttin' the waxed thread?
respectfully
bearridge

I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him. Galileo Galilei

Bear, there is a welt surrounding the blade, so the blade edge is actually touching the exact center of that one thickness of leather. If you look at the second picture and imagine a narrow strip of leather the width of the portion of the sheath showing outside the blade- that is the shape of the welt.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
I asked that it be larger on the ends as viewed from the side, and larger in the middle as viewed from above. This fits my grimy little hand well, and doesn't slip when wet or gooey.

Jack, that handle becomes virtually locked into your hand as soon as you pick it up. I don't think it would slip outa your hand even if it was smeared with Viennie juice. :) :wink:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I wonder if Jack would let me use his knife to get my Vienna's out of the can
JD from someone that has worked metal all his life I tip my hat to you
A great piece of art
Jack brings some tobacco with you and christen your knife in the land of Quanta Parkers Comanches
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Great looking knife , the blade is a harmonious looking blend of Etched and Damascus steel while being a solid blade.
Definitely a working piece of art that is pleasing to the eye and practical for it's intended use as a camping tool.

offsidebladediagonal.jpg

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks, Chuck. I like this effect because high carbon steel WILL stain. So if it's gonna stain, I just as soon have a stain that looks good.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
IT'S HERE! The knife arrived today about 15:40 hours. (For any civilians, that's twenty minutes to four. If any Marines are reading this, Mickey's right hand was on the 8, and his left hand was near the 4.)

One helluva knife. It will reach to the bottom of a 5 pound jar of peanut butter, split a chunk of kindling with ease, skin a critter for supper, clean a fish. slice bacon or potatoes readily, and lash onto a pole if I need a spear. I expect that it would clean and dress a turtle too, if I was thinking of doing such a thing. Dressing a deer or rabbit would be good work for it. (Cutting a fillet Mignon would too.)

The heat-treat etching on both sides of the blade add individual character that I've never seen on any blade before. Very unique, in fact completely unique.

I look forward to some camp work with it. (No, Ron, the knife doesn't do dishes or empty slop jars.) I'm practicing carving Z's into stuff. Piano, walls, doors, furniture.....

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Glad it finally arrived. Always a little wary when shipping. I've heard some horror stories.

Jack, I hope she serves you well. Give her a good go on your trip.
Thanks again.

Joey

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
jdupre' said:
Bear, I'd march right over to this guy's house and demand MY property back or he is in for some legal trouble.
Friend Joey,

Guess who caught up with me today. Yep....'n he had a used cardboard box with some writin' that the "knives inside wuz a heap sharper than they looked". The handles kinda surprized me. They had red, green 'n black layers....sez it wuz a laminate, very hard stuff that buffs up ta a nice shine. He sez he put the edge on with some kinda cardboard sharpener.

That Solingen link in my post above aint what I got. Those are Damascus steel. My knives (the ones with writin') have a symbol that looks like a "heart". FREIDR.HERDER ABR.SOHN SOLINGEN-GERMANY. That must be German talk fer danged hard steel. He tole me he messed up somethin' on one handle 'n had ta drill some more holes it. Sez hiz drill near bout wore out cuz the steel wuz so danged hard.

None of the handles haz any finger grips 'n nuthin' ta stop my hand if I wuz usin' one in the woods ta fight off an antelope. Looks like they will stay in the kitchen. When Miz Bear recalls how ta run the camera, I will take a pichur.

O....I had ta touch all the edges. My edge makers caint match hiz cardboard edger. I come close ta cuttin' myself....jest fondlin'. :wink:

regards
bearridge

No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded. Yogi Berra

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
:) That IS good news, Bear. Make sure you get us some pictures. Ya know we likes our pichurs.

Sometimes ya gotta lean on people to make them do right.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
This is a very good general camp knife, and probably good for a lot of other outdoor tasks that this geezer just hasn't tried it out on yet. As per a suggestion form Ron Smith, I had Joey design this sheath to be carried sideways on my belt, just to the left of my belt buckle.

Several advantages here, and I thank Ron for his suggestion. First off, it is safer. The knife won't puncture through a leather sheath in a fall and poke your thigh (femoral artery, muscle, pain, etc.), it doesn't catch on my boat seat (a folding, stadium seat) and make me look ridiculous in a picture taken by a FORMER friend :wink:), it is in a handy position to grab quickly, and do to overhang of a tummy it is protected from many rain storms.

It did take me a few adjustments on the keeper strap to get a positive hold. The knife fell out a few times, and - luckily - was found every time. It is now a secure fit. The "etching" on the blade is very interesting, kinda like a Rorschach ink blot test from a Cajun. Thanks, Joey, for a great knife. Worth every dollar.