Jack's camp knife | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

Jack's camp knife

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Thanks. That horizontal carry sheath 'bout whipped my butt. It's hard to have a system that will hold the knife securely AND be fairly handy to get at the knife.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
The way I came about my preference for a side wise sheath .
A old gentleman I once knew was an old mountain man, he lived in Colo and WY all his life. He was a horse man of the first class and ran pack trains for hunters and in places like the park and forest service.
He was the best outdoors man I ever met, of course he should have been he was in a tent over 300 days a year out in the mountains.
I noticed his knife one day and the way it was running with his belt and ask him why it was like that.
He explained to me that he used a knife every day and sometimes in a hurry if a mule fell on one of those mountain trails said the knife was easy to get too , and if you fell it wasnt going to come through the bottom of the sheath and go in your leg are falling it wasnt going to hit the ground and the handle drive up and break your ribs.
After years of carrying one this way I dont know why all knife sheaths arent made this way , maybe it is just to much trouble.
Ron

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
JD
It was a snap but was set where it unsnaped as you ran your hand up the handle, I am not explaining this very well
The snapp strap had a piece sticking out that you could catch as you pulled the blade , worked slick
Ron