My New Toy and Fun Getaway Item. | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

My New Toy and Fun Getaway Item.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I don't remember ANY bike seat being uncomfortable when I was a kid. Two variables here. One is age of the rump. Other one is seat design.
No seat designer had to hire copywriters to gen up adjectves, adverbs, and enriched superlatives to describe how comfortable a seat was. Their time was spent, instead, making comfortable seats.
I think that what we really need is a time machine and a wrench. We could then go back 50 years and get a comfortable seat.

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Jack, Brooks still makes the B-17 and the Flyer saddles. These came on most of the bikes I had in the 60's. I think the old rump is supporting more pounds and the legs are not keeping those pounds off of the rump.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
More pounds, legs still doing their job. I have a Brooks saddle.

Bike seats were comfortable before Brooks seats were imported. Remember that all, repeat all, bike seats had large, deep springs? My seat, like the one Chuck pictured, also has "shock absorbers" on it. They have about 3/8" travel at best. Old seat springs had an inch or more.

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
I was talking of my legs, not yours Jack. I just leave too much weight on the saddle at times. This causes discomfort. The Brooks Flyer series are wide and have quite a lot of spring travel. I never measured one, but when they were new they were bouncy..
Dan

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I know what you guys are saying , when I was a kid the seat on the bike was comfortable and you could ride all day without any rear end problems. Heck it was 20 miles to the Sanford Zoo and a buddy of mine and I would ride the bikes to it. Plus that was with one of the new fancy three speed bike.

Now Days..............This could be considered the best way to do a bicycle trip.
This might be even a better way to bike and to be comfortable........ On a bike trip make sure you can coast all the way , Down Hill. Preferably in the shade and out of the Sun and Heat of the Summer.
Warning : Double check your brakes before starting , Old folks with walkers can get nasty when surprised by a bicycle flying by.

I know eventually you have to go back up hill , that's when Bubba , His truck and a long rope comes into play. With any luck he will have a left over Beer in that cooler he has in the back of the truck.
:lol:

In reality and not a dream world...........
Knowing my luck Bubba would not be around so I would have to shift to some lower gears and peddle up hill. Better yet with steep ones just dismount and walk up them. That's providing you are lucky and can locate a hill anywhere in your area. Central Florida is about as hilly as a pool table. :roll:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
A couple of fays ago, we got a different bike seat at Walmart. It's wide, sculpted concave to "hold" the butt, has two hollows for the sit bones, and no nose sticking out the front. Ie: the seat is all the things that other bike seats are not. Julie and I rode 5 miles today, and she was able to raise the seat up and get a full power stroke. That lets her go up hills that were a struggle before. And, at the end of 5 miles, she was still comfy and not sore.

Saets that are convex are backwards to common sense, it seems to me. More bearing atea produces lower psi, and, therefore, less pain.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
DCRICE said:
Chuck, If I ride away from the house without the helmet, then I immediately return to get it. Not for the helmet, but for the mirror. I like to keep up with things going on around me. It is scary without it.

It's been a while and now I have hit the streets so for my safety's sake I picked up a really good bike helmet and two other things that any driver should see if they are awake.
giro_rift_mattewhitesilver.jpg

One is a small inexpensive flashlight that fits in a holder on the handlebars and the light has several different settings , one setting is a flashing mode which is quite visible. That is nice for early morning riding and the regular lighting is good for late evening and night time when it is cooler during the summer.
41fGfAQlgpL._AA160_.jpg

The other item is a red tail light that is a reflector , red tail light and even a flashing red tail light depending on the setting you chose.
The road I am on has very little traffic but it's better to be safe then sorry later on.

It has 4 LEDs in it and one battery.

DCRICE

Jun 2, 2014
Baton Rouge
Smart move Chuck. I always try to remember that there are people like me on the road, driving cars, and daydreaming about boat building or other stuff. Next time I think of it, I will bend you up one of the helmet mirrors. It will be a pain for the first week, then after you get used to it, it won't feel right without it.
Dan

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
DCRICE said:
Smart move Chuck. Next time I think of it, I will bend you up one of the helmet mirrors. It will be a pain for the first week, then after you get used to it, it won't feel right without it.
Dan

Dan...
Thank you for that gracious offer but I have one on order that should be here any time this week. It's for the right side of the helmet since that is my good eye. :D

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
We're still out pedaling our fannies around town. Did a couple of 7 1/2 mile rides this week. Chose to forego a flight in the Duck, and rode bikes instead. I introduced Julie to a nice, little, family restaurant in old town Lansing. The folding bikes are handy. Next week, we'll be riding them in Iowa.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Jack, I understand your avoiding Chicago, New York, and St. Louis, but I thought you liked us down here in LA (Louisiana). :roll:

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
beekeeper said:
Jack, I understand your avoiding Chicago, New York, and St. Louis, but I thought you liked us down here in LA (Louisiana). :roll:
i sure do like you webfooters. One of my daughters ia a native webfooter. T'other one is native Japanese, which is odd for a blonde haired blue eyed lady.