NorthWind Finally..... | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

NorthWind Finally.....

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
oldsparkey said:
He's going to spend more time explaining how he built the boat then paddling it , it sure is an eye catcher. :D

Chuck.

Atleast until it gets caught in one of those mild wind storms we have down here.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Darrells said:
oldsparkey said:
He's going to spend more time explaining how he built the boat then paddling it , it sure is an eye catcher. :D

Chuck.

Atleast until it gets caught in one of those mild wind storms we have down here.

I've heard tell that some folk just roll up in a tarp when a wind storm comes around. :lol: :lol:
Bob

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Been there and done that and don't care to do it again.......... :lol: Big rain drops driven by 80mph wind hurts like ???? when covered only by a thin blue tarp.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Darrells said:
Big rain drops driven by 80mph wind hurts like ???? when covered only by a thin blue tarp.

Don't let him fool you .... He crawled out of that trap like a bug out of a cocoon and just as dry and happy as if nothing had gone wrong.

OK......SO.....He was a little worried that the boats might of hit him on there way eastward over the gravel bar and that the river might come up and make him swim for it. Or if the lighting hit him he might of been a Big Blue Burrito there on the river bank. The wind did not bother him since he figured out it would take him to his house if he stood up but then he would not of been in our company. :lol: One reason for him to lift that tarp and make a beeline for his place. :roll:

One heck of a trip and the experience of a life time , Darells and Ron do know how to throw a river trip together. :wink:

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Saturation coat is done and all of the little nails holes and small cracks are filled in. Getting closer to laying some fiberglass. :D Pics after while. I am loving the new shop, just need to get the other half of it built now.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Got free early to day so i gave the boat a good scrubbing with acetone and the then laid some glass, Finally. :D :D :D

1740.jpg

1739.jpg

NorhtWind22311004.jpg

NorhtWind22311003.jpg

NorhtWind22311002.jpg

NorhtWind22311006.jpg

NorhtWind22311009.jpg

NorhtWind22311007.jpg

I LIKE. 8)

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I have always posted the good along with the bad. Well I have a problem, seems the first four feet or so of the fiberglass was contaminated or something. About every 12 inches or so i have a stripe that did not wet out properly. It is very uniform in the distance and shape of the area involved so it has to be a problem with the glass. I have been thinking about it and with no other option I started ripping off the effected area this morning with a heat gun and scraper will post pics later. Never had to patch an area, I guess we will see how it looks. If I don't like it I will strip the entire boat and start over. :(

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
It's going pretty good. The fiberglass comes off pretty easy once heated up. I am taking my time and being careful with the wood underneath. Should have the rest off later today and the remaining epoxy sanded smoothe.

northwind22711001.jpg

The rest of the boat looks great though. :roll:

northwind22711002.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
New glass is down with a saturation coat. I will do a fill coat tomorrow and see for sure how it is going to look, but i think it will be fine. I can see it because I know it is there, but I don't think the seam will jump out to someone who does not know that it has been spliced.

NorthWind22711004.jpg

NorthWind22711003.jpg

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
Jack,
The glass came in a roll and was wrapped in paper, which i did not unwrap until I was ready to drape it on the boat. It is 6oz s-glass which is what i have always used without any problems. i don't know guess it was just one of those things that happen sometimes.

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I wiggled it, shook it, cussed at it, drank a beer,wiggled some more, drank a beer, cussed a little more, drank a beer, shook it some, drank another beer and then it came off of the forms :D . Started sanding the inside and I am very impressed with the weight so far.

NorthWind3411001.jpg

NorthWind3411003.jpg

NorthWind3411002.jpg

WDfrmTN

Darrells said:
I have always posted the good along with the bad. Well I have a problem, seems the first four feet or so of the fiberglass was contaminated or something. About every 12 inches or so i have a stripe that did not wet out properly. It is very uniform in the distance and shape of the area involved so it has to be a problem with the glass. I have been thinking about it and with no other option I started ripping off the effected area this morning with a heat gun and scraper will post pics later. Never had to patch an area, I guess we will see how it looks. If I don't like it I will strip the entire boat and start over. :(
Sounds like oil or something got on a roller at the processing plant. You never can tell sometimes.

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Looking great Darrel! Couple of quick questions.... Can you give me an idea of how many board feet you ended up using? How many strips total? And it looks like your just using flat strips and not bead and coving them? I'm thinking real hard about building something like this.
Thanks in advance
Brad

Darrells

Oct 19, 2008
Lorena,Texas
I'm still alive, barely. I don't know what I had but I have not felt that bad for a longtime. Gonna give it another day or so and then I promise to get back to building on the Northwind.