OK, JEM...... | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

OK, JEM......

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Popiel Pocket Fisherman - I have a piece of driftwood - this particular one came from the shores of Gitche Gumi (Lake Superior). It is shaped roughly like a large letter "C", about 14" across. I whittled a pistol grip somewhere around the middle, and two notches in the ends. I wind line around it like a kite winder.

Has no moving parts - kind of like me.

skiabq

May 6, 2006
Albuquerque
Hey Jack, is that the model that has hook and lure storage by hooking them on the edge of the wood? ;-)

The rod & reel that I use the most is a small telescoping rod and spinning reel that I bought at KMart about 20 years ago for $20. I grab it and a small tackle box that has the bare essentials. I have realized if I keep it simple I am more likely to trow it in and use it. I have caught a ton of good eatin' panfish on that rig.

Matt, I hope "the stuff" comes in the mail today because I will have some time this weekend.

islandpiper

small cockpits

I think I'll stick to the small cockpit opening and just put a slot on deck to drop the fish into, maybe with a one-way rubber gate. Ever watch "Dangerous Catch" or whatever they call it on the TV, about the Alaskan Crab fishermen? They have a deck opening they drop the crabs into....same thing. Maybe have one front and back of the cockpit. Front one for fish with no teeth and the one behind the cockpit for fish with teeth.

JEM

I'm tinkering with it. Dang day job got in the way of doing the boat stuff.

What I'm doing is trying to optimize the plywood usage. The deck fits really tight on a single sheet so I'm doing some minor tweaks to get to fit a little better.

The deck assembly is a little tricky. I have a friend who built a few CLC boats and a few Pygmy boats and one of mine. The challenge with the rounded deck using the CLC method is that you have to install it while the deck is wet with epoxy on the underside (no fiberglass...just an epoxy-cabosil mixture). That just doesn't sit well with me. I like to set up my designs so someone can work in small steps if they need to. I know that's how I need to work.

So what I doing is drawing up a simple cradle jig where you glass the deck underside. I think it'll work out pretty cool. I'll try and post some sketches and let you guys tell me what you think.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
I think the whole problem is that lumberyards only stock 8 foot long plywood.... the world would be soooo much easier if they stocked 16 by 4 foot sheets!!!!!

islandpiper

curved deck

Matt........you have designed and participated in the construction of lots more boats han I have.....I did a fast count and remember building six of them, and rebuilding a few more. So, if you say a two part centerline-pitched deck is better and can be build faster/easier/safer then go for it. I'll go with the flow. I'm in this for the fun of it and really don't want to make either your life or mine more complicated. I've probably forgotten all the really good cuss-words I used to know anyway the last time I tortured plywood into a curved-deck shape. With my vision it will all look good from ten-feet away, no matter what you design and I build.

Carry on. :D

JEM

The arched deck fits. Just had to get a little creative. No problem with it.

But it looks like 4 sheets of plywood will be needed. Just no getting away from it. Having the sealed bulkheads and cockpit coamings eats up some board space.

But there's a few positive too.

one can use 3mm for the deck, 4mm for the side and bottom, and then the last sheet will be 6mm for the bulkhead and coaming.

Can also take advantage of having the 6mm for the sheer clamp that will be needed and other small parts.

So now I'll get cracking on the dimensioned panels. Now if someone wanted a precut kit, then I could have that to them by the second week of August.

JEM

RecTourJig.JPG

For coating the deck underside with fiberglass, I figured a simple to make jig will do the trick.

Just stitch the hull top (up-side-down) to the jig and glass the underside. Just glass right over the top of the stitch and then sand it out after cure. Fill the small hole in the fiberglass you sanded in with a little epoxy.

Then it'll hold the arced shape somewhat better, be easier to install, and will completely encapsulate the deck plywood.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Matt,

I must compliment your three dimensional imagination. As Mick would say, "Good on ya, Mate!" (pronounced like MIGHT)

I know, you have CADD & other aids, but still, you think in three dimensions. Some of us have problems thinking in only one.

islandpiper

alternate bending jig

Matt, how about if you strung wires across the beam, deck inverted, pulled them up tight as if there were several archery-type longbows ACROSS the boat......place one wire at 1/4 of length, two near the middle, and another at 1/4 in from the other end......just a few holes near the edge, nothing across the boat, then you could simply epoxy the inside, no glass, and pull the wires AFTER the deck was on the boat. Saves building another form, too. Worth a try?

islandpiper

carbon

Matt, instead of or used with the glass/epoxy, how about some carbon fiber ribbon accross the boats deck inside. It will take tension very well and will help hold the deck's shape better than glass alone. Also, very light weight. Easy to get at any model airplane shop or from the busier boat supply outfits.

JEM

Certainly an option.

In the plans I'll specify 3mm plywood for the deck with 6 ounce glass on each side. I'll do this to keep materials common as 6 ounce glass will be used for the entire boat.

But if a builder wants to try carbon fiber, more power to them.