OK, JEM...... | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

OK, JEM......

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looks like a record but you know how things get when Matt (JEM) starts thinking about boats, it is a never ending process. He started getting serious (His own Boat Business) back around Jan , 2004 and hasn't stopped..

Chuck.
PS.. But who is counting :roll: :lol: :lol:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
JEM said:
That would be Nov '03.
:lol:

OK., So I missed it by 60 days, Shows how well I keep my books or should that be how well my memory works.
Before you say anything let me say ........ My memory retired the same day I did and that was ........ when was it :?: ... back there some time ago, I think? NO..... I think it retired before I did or so folks like to tell me. :lol:

Chuck.

JEM

I'd GUESS around $450 plus delivery (which runs around $50) at most. That includes 1 sheet of 3mm, 2 sheets of 4mm, and 1 sheet of 6mm, all Okoume. The left overs will get thrown into the box as well but there's not much left! Now keep in mind I'm fudging that guess high right now.

Once I have the final panel layout, I'll know more. I have one sticky spot with the size of the front hatch. It's kinda small at about 8 x 11. The aft hatch is much bigger though.

I want to draw it all up and post a sort of "spec review" for everyone. I'm hoping that will be tomorrow.

JEM

lol....the CLC and Pygmy complete kits are much more expensive but also have more stuff.

If you compare their wood-only kits, my esitmate is still lower. Hopefully that will remain the same when I have the final calculations.

I'm going after a recreational/touring hybrid on this design. There are SOOOOOO many other sea and touring kayak designs, I've put those last on my priority list to do.

islandpiper

interest

Matt, if the visits to this topic and the number of replies are any indicatiion, this could be a popular little boat. My only concern is finding 3mm, 4mm and 5mm ply out here in the middle of nowhere. Could it all be made of 5mm, easily available everwhere? There are no doubt guys in Dumptruck, Iowa and Passby, Nevada with the same concern.

Your pre-cut kit is really tempting, but would cut into my grocery budget pretty badly right now. Want to trade for a mandolin? (no kidding)

Anyway, can't wait for finished drawings. Tell me when I can place an order.

Cheers, Piper

JEM

I fell behind the last couple days. Just not enough hours in the day. Plus a local rib shack was having a special and damn if we didn't HAVE TO attend last night. :p

I'm working on a really cool design project for a fishing lodge in the McKenzie River Valley in Oregon. That one currently has to be the #1 project but I'm excited about this kayak so I'm working it in.

5mm all around could work just fine. The deck and the bottom panels will take a little more muscle to bend. But the bends are not extreme (lol...that sounded funny) so you should be ok. You'll end up with a little bit heavier overall kayak but we're talking 5 pounds or so.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper,

I've built four boats from pre-cut kits, and one from plans and pile of plywood and a saw. I'll do the kit from now on.

MUCH more accurate on the cut, MUCH easier on the builder's time, ensured of the right material every time. That's my experience; results may vary in different ZIP codes.

Can I do it again from plans? Certainly. Will I? Nope.

JEM

Ok here we go. You have no idea how many times I jumped back to the start on this one. Those hatches and cockpit rims caused quite a mess. :lol:

But, now I've got them where they will be straight-forward to build, makes good use of the plywood sheets, and will make it easy for me to provide some full-size templates.

Easy for me = less cost passed along to the builder.

you can't see them in the picture but there are 2 complete bulkheads. I still want to play with some hip brace panels inside the cockpit.

RecTourC.JPG

RecTourD.JPG

islandpiper

ya, sure

YES, YES, YES.......Matt, you read my mind......this is the boat I wanted when i wrote that first installment in this topic!! Bring it on........

I may re-develop the cockpit a little......or not......

wow!!! Thanks for staying up late, missing your dinner numerous times, passing up on your wife's birthday party, and losing a lot of sleep while designing this one !! Is it still simple enough athat we can get a whole troop of Scouts to build them? Glad to hear that we can use the hardware store variety of 5mm overall.....

I'm cutting back on my family's rations to save money enough for a precut kit..... Sure you don't want to trade for a mandolin?

Piper

skiabq

May 6, 2006
Albuquerque
WOW!!! That is EXACTLY what I wanted too. That thing is absolutely perfect. How soon before the plans are ready? Not that I can start any time soon anyway, just anxious to see em'.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper, Indulge me, please, and allow me to pass along some experiential philosophy? Here's the background.

Any hole in a boat can let in water.

When a hatch is off - or askew - you have a hole. (Edmund Fitzgerald)

Water in one end of a boat turns it up on end, in what is known as Cleopatra's Needle.

Unless you can reach shore, it is impossible to recover from this situation.

From experience in carrying a lot of cargo (lunch, rain gear, etc.) on the back of a motorcycle, I learned a truth: I lost a lot of things that were "fastened on just right". But - I never did lose anything that was fastened on way too much.

When it comes to securing a hatch, don't secure it "just right". Secure it way too much.

It's only critical/

islandpiper

jack

Jack, I never asked for hatches and closed compartments. That was the designer's whim......as builder I may not do that at all, I hate through-hull openings unless necessary. Further, stressing thie deck panel, then cutting holes may not let things stay in the pretty shape we have worked for. For my needs and wants, a lite, simple boat to take spin down the bayou before work on Wednesdays I don't need waterproof compartments. A couple of milk jugs stuffed into the bow will satisfy me for flotation.

But she sure is pretty......don't you agree?

Piper

skiabq

May 6, 2006
Albuquerque
Jack, I had to chuckle at your last post. It sounded all too familiar to me. Just the other day my lunch fell of the back seat of my motorcycle on the way to work. I was slowing down and immediately recognized my blue lunch bag sliding down the busy street past me :( but on the up side there was a nice policeman behind me. He swerved to miss it, but kept going :evil: I pulled over to scoop up the bruised and battered remains of my lunch. I didn't want to litter. Ever since that day I use two bungie cords on my new insulated lunch bag.

JEM

She is a nice looking boat.

I'll probably build one of these with a recreational style cockpit for my wife. The experimental yak I tried for her didn't work out so good. :oops: It does ok now after a few modifications but it doesn't have a nice flowing look like this one.