R U up for a A NEW TIN BOX OVEN CHALLENGE ? | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

R U up for a A NEW TIN BOX OVEN CHALLENGE ?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: If you have time: A NEW STOVE CHALLENGE

I missed the correlation between what Piper asked and that Cajun Microwave , they sure looked like two different things and I even had my glasses on. :lol:

As normal we got side tracked to avoid the meat of the matter.
Cajun_Microwave-Inside_View-Apr_01.jpg

This sure ain't no Coleman fuel can as far as I can tell. :evil: Lets get back to the original question , new ones or ideas can be done if a person wants to deviate from the original thought by making another posting.

Pipers original question was .....Using a one gallon can, make a stove....or cooker.....or camp oven. A million possibilities here. I suppose a guy could make one from the lower half that uses two pop can stoves. Or, a twig burner with a chimney. Or, a biscuit oven for camp that uses a pop can stove.......

Chuck.
Personally I would like to know what is going on in his mind since I have several of those cans. Send all your nasty e-mails about this ....%&(&%#@*&^.... posting I made to Jack at ... [email protected] :lol: PLEASE , No name calling or profanity in them to Jack , save that for me since it will make methinks I'm back at work. :D

islandpiper

Thanks Chuck.

I'm working on a horizontal oven, door that opens UP and is then just dropped down, closed. Several cross wires to put the little biscuit pan or foil on. I think a flattened tin can on the bottom will spread the heat some, the original spout is left open for heat venting. So far, i have ideas and a can, have not had time to sit down and cut metal yet.

Steve's very real concerns regarding the "tinning" and oxydation are a worry. I wonder what the answer it. Maybe a biscuit oven won't ever get that hot.

Years ago i was on a job where the tinners were making a mile of insulted ductwork in the 24" x 24" size. for a six pack we inspectors had them make a box with a friction fit door, all insulated. The electricians on the job installed a porcillin bulb socket. We put in the 100 bulb and had a great lunch oven for the field trailer Man, that was great having a real hot meal on a cold Wisconsin day. Sorry......side story , just sort of jumped out.

piper

islandpiper

Here's an idea, pretend you are poor and have to "make do" with what's at hand, and can't order anything on the internet.....and all the local stores closed down once the gub'mint bought them out.

Oh......wait......all of that could happen in the next six months.

All the more reason to build our own stuff. Want to learn about "making do"? read the old stories and diaries of the folks who escaped the Dust Bowl.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

Piper....

Not to hijack your idea ( AGAIN) but there will be one of the Cajun Microwaves here to use in a short time that is something I did not know about and really like the idea of. :D

Now back to your thoughts about those empty Coleman cans which I have plenty of. By the way there is nothing on the web , that I can find, that suggests on how to use them when they are empty. You are treading/exploring on new ground.

Chuck.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA

oldsparkey said:
I missed the correlation between what Piper asked and that Cajun Microwave , they sure looked like two different things and I even had my glasses on. :lol:
As normal we got side tracked to avoid the meat of the matter.
This sure ain't no Coleman fuel can as far as I can tell. :evil: Lets get back to the original question , new ones or ideas can be done if a person wants to deviate from the original thought by making another posting.

Pipers original question was .....Using a one gallon can, make a stove....or cooker.....or camp oven. A million possibilities here. I suppose a guy could make one from the lower half that uses two pop can stoves. Or, a twig burner with a chimney. Or, a biscuit oven for camp that uses a pop can stove.......
Chuck, I suggested cutting the alcohol can to use for the metal part in the top of the cajun microwave. That does follow the original question. I guess that for some people I got to draw a picture of the can showing where to cut. What was that idee you had again?
Jimmy

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder

Geezer Cafe
Falling apart an the Doc had to fix it , lets us know about the repairs.

Nope....not there. That iz only fer medickle trip reports.....NOT chit chat 'n hijackin'. Good thing the spell police aint out tonite. [grin]

regard ta all ya hijackers
bearridge

What now?  Let me tell you what now.  I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' niggers, who'll go to work on the homies here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.  You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy?  I ain't through with you by a damn sight.  I'ma get medieval on your ass.  Marsellus Wallace

Bilgerat

May 10, 2006
Texas!
www.bilgerat.net

oldsparkey said:
....... Now back to your thoughts about those empty Coleman cans which I have plenty of. By the way there is nothing on the web , that I can find, that suggests on how to use them when they are empty. You are treading/exploring on new ground.

Chuck.
Like Jimmy W said, cut the empty can to form the top of the microwave. Then, cut up some of your extra cans to line the inside of the box. You might even consider cutting the top off of one and use it for your basting sauce. :wink:

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

OK... A What If......

What if a person cuts the top off the can , rolls the top edge to make it more solid. Then leaves the bottom in it and cuts some air holes around it for ventilation.
Rig up a grid in the middle or upper part for the alcohol stoves to sit on. Then for cooking one of the stainless steel G.I. Mess kits would sit on the top and have a ready made platform for them.

Or if a person did not want to use the spirit burners then make a small grid near the bottom of it where some wood would lay while burning. Say about an inch up from the bottom of the can above the holes for ventilation . Ventilation coming in under the fire which will draw in more air as the heat is going out the top where the pan would be to use for cooking.

Only reason I suggested a stainless steel GI Mess kit is that they will do everything and pack away nice and neat. If I am not wrong ( I have not cut up a can ...Yet) The mess kit on an angle should fit inside the can for storage.

For baking . two cans , one as the burner and heat source and the other over the top as an oven but the end would have to be able to be closed after the food was placed in there. Tin foil might do that.

As I said .. Just a what if.... :wink:

Chuck.
It would be about the same as Trench cooking. That is when you dig a shallow and narrow trench or impression in the ground. About 3/4s as wide as what your pot is. Plus it helps if it is about 3 times as long as your pot on each side. Makes it easier to add wood as the coking progresses.
Start a small fire in it and when you have the coals then lay down a small piece of wood on each side of it to support your pot so it is not on the ground.
As supper cooks then you add more wood to the fire. It requires very little wood to cook a meal since the heat is concentrated in a small area then when it is done you fill in the trench and no one knows what went on. Or you just have a small campfire , in the same area , after your evening meal and in the morning go your merry way. Naturally for can do the same in the morning , just cover the trench and no fire worries. :D

Again it is the old U.S. Army Mess Kit in the stainless that does the trick , the new aluminum ones stink for that and just don't work as good.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder

like I already tole ya'll....we caint come up with any good ideas fer empty gas cans.....least not fer canoe campin'. lol

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

islandpiper said:
Chuck, THANKS, now we are getting somewhere. piper

Who knows , we have some new folks on here and they might have a better idea when they decide to post something. :D

Ya can always count on Bear , sort of , sometimes , now and then , a real supporter of new things to do and dream up .... Even occasional to come up with a good idea on a new project. I'm still waiting for that to happen and it's only been a century so far , or seams like it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dam , I'm in trouble now...... Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana

Piper, just build a big fire in and around it and let it burn in a far corner of the yard downwind. No fumes to contend with.

Don't have a can to experiment with right now but I'll give it a shot. Lay can on one of the wide flat sides with the spout near the now top surface. Cut out 1/2 to 2/3 rds of the opposite end of the can closest to the ground. Done. Built a stick fire in the can and allow it to heat up. The fire will draft from the big open end and out the spout. You can now cook over a wood fire without getting your pots black and sooty. The thin metal of the can should allow plenty of heat transfer for cooking. Or not. :mrgreen:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay

Chuck,
I just tried your idea and it doesn't work. Took an old coffee container and followed your directions and it looked good. Started the fire ant the stupid thing melted. :mrgreen:
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

Wannabe said:
Chuck,
I just tried your idea and it doesn't work. Took an old coffee container and followed your directions and it looked good. Started the fire ant the stupid thing melted. :mrgreen:
Bob

Ya lost me .... Coffee Container ??????????? We on the same page here or has something sneaked in ????? This is about the empty Coleman White Gas Cans after they are empty , definitely not while they are full. :oops: :oops:

Chuck.
Liver an Onions are a great meal. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder

jest checkin'.....

I dont see no good stove idea yet....but ya'll dont give up.....the hihackin' iz dang good [chuckle]