Rip-Roaring Rendezvous Report 2010 | SouthernPaddler.com

Rip-Roaring Rendezvous Report 2010

islandpiper

Well, another RENDEZVOUS has come and gone, and was enjoyed by all. What a fine day it turned out to be.

After weeks of wonderful weather, we faced a forecast for rain, heavy rain, thunder storm, heavy hail, high winds and tornadoes, and a windy and loud electrical storm early, the weather turned around and was out of this world. Sunshine, a nice breeze and moderate temperatures ruled the day.

I woke up at five AM, had my feet on the floor fifteen minutes later. The coffee was done by six AM and two batches of cookies were already cooling.....yes, fresh, warm cookies. The thunder was rolling and the TV weather channel had one of those red ribbons on the bottom of the screen, forecasting 60 MPH winds. A little while after daylight the storm hit us. Jdupre' and Wannabe helped set up the two EZ Up tents, and soon the rainwater was flooding my car port. Kayak Jack jumped into action and dug a trench to help drain it away. I got the fire going and stuffed peppers roasting to fortify the troops and to temper the taste of those warm cookies. By then the beer was cold. Beekeeper arrived with Nana Pudding, great potato salad and soft drinks. Jack went back to making garlic and beans in the crock pot. Seedtick and Keith arrived and immediately the boudin hit the grill and boats began littering the front yard. Oops, time to get the bacon explosion on the smoker! The pulled pork was warming in the oven.

Snacks ruled the morning, with crawfish dip, spinach dip (Mrs. Wannabe :D ) and home made canadian bacon.....boudin..peppers, chips and crackers, etc.

Did you notice that RENDEZVOUS seems to be another word for EAT?

Attendees included several local fellows and friends, potential Forum members, Mr. John Wong and his wife who have donated food for all the Rendezvous' to date and helped out in many ways, Wannabe, jdupre', bears buddy, rpecot, beekeeper and his son, seedtick, keith, piper, kayak jack, bald cypress ( who did i forget??) .......and several wives and girlfriends.....all told about 20 persons.

Graybeard sent a bottle of FOUR ROSES and everyone took part in sharing it. First off, Piper and Wannabe snuck out to the patio in back and had a chat and a short drink. Wannabe lost his Father a couple months ago, and my Mother passed just a month ago. Graybeard, your gift was popped open to drink a toast to them. Thanks!!

Last year rpecot left a folding chair at my house. We made sure it got back on board before he left this year. So, to maintain balance in the Cosmos, he left a DIFFERENT folding chair here this year. Thanks Russ.

We ate like kings......or better.......i think i'll let the other guys fill in here. Take it away fellows....the whole story.

The talking and gabbing and Boat Science abounded as the photos will show.

We had a whole fleet of fine hand crafted boats on the yard, they get better each year. Lots of pictures will follow from the various cameras that were here.

There were designated NAP ZONES, in the two hammocks hung nearby and still, Jack and Bears Buddy managed to doze off in their chairs.

I'm sure the other guys will add to this, and if not then i'll fill in the rest later.

In short, THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO ATTENDED AND CHIPPED IN AND BROUGHT FOOD AND DRINKS, BROUGHT BOATS, TRAVELED THOUSANDS OF MILES TO ATTEND, OR PHONED US FROM IDEEHOE OR AUSTRALIA.....AND TOOK PART IN ANY WAY IN THIS EVENT.

Time for a shower and a nap.

Piper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Piper and his bride have a knack for throwing a party that gets better and better each year.

Thanks for the hospitality

and the food, did anyone notice that there was a LOT of REALLY GOOD food?

and good company?

and good information ?

and very nice boats?

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Another rousing success, piper. Smoked pork,in different forms, was in abundance. The Bacon Explosion was the essence of smoky porkedness. The bacon wrapped, cheese stuffed, grilled jalepenos were fantastic. Pulled pork, baked beans and potato salad rounded out the menu.

The show and tell table was full of hand crafted items. Bears Buddy brought a neat crossbow pistol and bolts and stack of West Sytem epxoy users manuals. He really went the extra mile to make it to the festivities. Piper displayed some of his fine leatherwork and well-made longbows. I had a few of my knives there too.

Beekeeper and his son brought their latest creation, a slick, narrow fishing skiff. It was nicely finished and hadn't even been in the water yet. We all gave it our blessing. Good job, JD.

keith and seedtick brought along one of their fine plank pirogues. Too dang pretty to go banging around cypress knees.

Bald Cypress displayed his almost finished strip canoe. She's a looker. Great lines.

Russel Pecot brought along his NEARLY finished UJ pirogue. Russel just needs that little bit of extra time to finish her out.

My Swamper also made it's debut today. I was a pretty proud papa.

Great day.

Joey

islandpiper

Warm cookies
coffee
soda
beer
bourbon
iced tea
lemonade
pulled pork
bacon explosion
stuffed jalepenos
yougurt apple dip
potato salad (x 2)
crawfish dip
spinach dip
various chips
several kinds of bread and rolls
brownies
birthday cake
Amazing chocolate cake
baked beans
canadian bacon
steamed boudin
roasted boudin
Nana pudding
World famous Salsa

(what am i forgetting here....??)

piper

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
jdupre' said:
The Bacon Explosion was the essence of smoky porkedness.
Yes. Exactly. And in case you were wondering, it was also delicious.
jdupre' said:
The bacon wrapped, cheese stuffed, grilled jalepenos were fantastic.
I want to give these a whirl the next time I fire up my cheap-o smoker. These were quite yummy as well.

Once again, this event lived up the the hype. Glad I didn't have to bail out on yall this time. :D

islandpiper

And a look around the yard and on the show-and-tell table:

a fine new plank pirogue: keith/seedtick
a fine new UJ: rpecot
a fine new square stern pirogue: beekeeper
a fine new strip canoe: bald cypress
a fine new SWAMPER open yak: jdupre'
an old worn out UJ: piper

a stack of wood and composite bows
a triple of stone point hand made arrows
a display box of fine carving knives
a display box of fine hunting and defense knives
blow guns and darts
hand embossed leather goods

a clark hammock
a dupre' special hammock

boat seats
more boat seats
a camping mailbox
a nifty folding latrine seat

What else did i forget?

piper

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
For once, my camera phone took decent photos and I was able to transfer them to my pc.

Uploaded to facebook. Here's my first attempt at posting fb pics...
boats by: baldcypress, joey, russell, piper
28392_1436766764419_1390496075_1203040_4630579_n.jpg

boats by: beekeeper, baldcypress
28392_1436766804420_1390496075_1203041_2354490_n.jpg

and the soon to be world famous: keith and seedtick
28392_1436766844421_1390496075_1203042_5059477_n.jpg

(can we get an invitation to the world premiere?)

Here's the link to the photo album:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6 ... bba2c31b1d

Steve

Thanks for the pics, Russel. . . Susie and I wish we could've been there. . . It was good to talk to everyone this morning on the phone, though. . . And, Piper-san, Susie said to inform you we are going to be there next year. . . She says she's gotta collect all them hugs and kisses she was promised by Jack this morning. . . :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: Jack, next year, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU LIKE A HAWK!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink: :roll:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Piper
Thank you and Ms. Piper for the day. Did you forget Jack's winning bid(donation) or did the check bounce? :wink: :lol:
Great folks and great time!

beekeeper

islandpiper

It is way too early to be up after yesterday, but here I am.

JD, your boat seat was a hit and provided some much appreciated cash for expenses.

Kayak Jack was high bidder and was feeling his oats, I guess. The high bid, taken online stood at $120. When he wrote the check he clearly wrote in $150. So, again , Jack gets the JOLLY GOOD FELLOW award for helping to provide food, drink, paper goods, etc for the party for everyone.
THANKS, JACK YOU ARE A PRINCE AMONG MEN, TOO!!!

But, here is the real kicker: he decided to leave the new seat here in Ponchatoula, saying that I should use it and keep it here in case he ever stopped in and needed a boat seat. I'm overwhelmed.......really. Thanks again to Beekeeper and Kayak Jack for making so much of this possible.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The Rendezvous needs a name change to the Ponchatoula, Louisiana Annual Boat and Food Show.

It appears that as each year rolls around there are more boats , great guy's and tons of food. Just when you would swear that it can't be any better it gets better.

If it keeps improving as it has ( I'm sure it will ) Weight Watchers will have to have a booth set up there to help the over indulgent which is an easy thing to do while enjoying the relaxed atmosphere and good times. :D

Chuck.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Piper
I really like the note pad you gave me. :)
IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg

I also need to thank Jack for buying the seat and base. It was a very generous gesture. When the bidding started I began to worry someone was going to be disappointed when they got the seat and realized they paid too much. I soon saw the bidding was not about the seat but offers to support the Rendezvous. It was a very fun and filing :wink: event. I called the Friday night gathering at Keith and seedtick's a Practice Rendezvous. It was more a "coordinated refresher course in Rendezvousing skills". All the participants I saw Saturday were very practiced in the required skills (sitting, eating, story telling, and boat science). Some had even mastered other advanced skills, like napping, fishing tales, bragging, politics, and most popular art, joke telling. Chuck I don't think "weight watching" was allowed. I know eating is not a spectator sport at the Rendezvous. :)

beekeeper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Steve said:
Thanks for the pics, Russel. . . Susie and I wish we could've been there. . . It was good to talk to everyone this morning on the phone, though. . . And, Piper-san, Susie said to inform you we are going to be there next year. . . She says she's gotta collect all them hugs and kisses she was promised by Jack this morning. . . :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: Jack, next year, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU LIKE A HAWK!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink: :roll:
Don't worry about Jack Steve. Once Susie see's Jack in person, She'll forget about collecting thoes x's&o's. :mrgreen:
Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
What eveybody else said with an added WOW!
Old Yakker,
I felt very honered at the Tummy Streaching Excerises Fri night whee Seed tick let me stick a cracker in what appared to be a newly openquart jar of smoked Cayenne hot sauce. You'd of loved it. And that was after I don't know how many boudain balls and how many peices of fried fish. It was great. I cannot thank youall enough Keith and Seedtick. OUTSTANDING
Sat. morning I helped Piper put the tents up and i came a hard rain. Things were surely looking bleak. Wen it stopped raining the sun peaked out and it turned out to be a wonderful day. I am truly sorry for catching Bald Cypress by his unawares (you will understand when you see the picture). But not really. I did it on purpose.
I did not see Jack napping this year. Wonder why?
Wish Greybeard could of been there but his sprit(or sprits) was unbleavable. Thanks.
As they say 'Agood time was had by all'. Islandpiper needs a good "Hip Hip Hoorah" for another fantastic Rendevous. Mrs. B is all cranked for another next year if it hould happen.
Thanks Keith
Bob

dawallace45

Well I enjoyed talking to a few of the fellers I haven't talked to by phone before , I get the distinct impression the food was very good , every one I talked to started the conversation with " You should'a been here , you'all missed some great food "

It was a bit difficult at times understand each other , the line wasn't good and crackled a bit and went blank at times , I had no problem understanding any bodys accent as we are bought up from a early age with non stop american tv , [ I still haven't decided if we should forgive you fellers for sending us Seinfeld ] and understanding the many diverse american accents is pretty natural to us , on the other hand I think that maybe Wannabe was having a little trouble as he asked Jack to interpret , All I said was that Piper must be going ape shit racing around like a blue arsed fly with every one starting to leave and saying good bye to every one . any way Jack had no problem , he's used to Australians

David

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
David,
The accent was not the problem. Jack was talking and the wind chimes were going and with my tinnitus(or however its spelled) I could not understand anything. Jack is wwaaayy older than I, but he has taken better care of his ears. I've just shot too many guns. Still wish all ya'll down there could of been here.
Bob

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Part one

I’m sure that y’all will forgive the delay is submitting this report. I had a problem when I got home . For some reason my arms were not long enough to reach the keyboard. Then after a day, the swelling in my stomach had gone down and now I can use the keyboard.

Now, as to the Ren-dez-vous. There was in fact the warm up that has already been mentioned. I must say that I was very fortunate and had arrived at Kieths’ house before everyone else. I got a two hour intro into the shop and boat making. To say I am thankful would be an understatement. After a couple of stragglers showed up and the tour complete, we were off to what would be the start of a nearly continuous food fest.

Seedtick and his wife were ready for us. After a quick howdy and hand shake, hands were filled with deep fried Boudan balls [sausage and rice mix] I refuse to say how many I ate but, trust me , there will be fewer Boudans’ in the world after that night. That however was just a warm-up. Shortly after and just after a visit to Ticks’ shop, the deep fried Catfish was done. Now here I must claim , in my own defense, that there was some mis-comunacation. I thought we were eating as the food was finished so I was helping myself. Come to find out, we were going to do the “formal” dining inside. Well, one cannot tell the hostess that he has already made a pig of himself so, another round of Boudan and Catfish, french fries and drinks was in order. After finishing that, I was forced, FORCED I TELL YOU, to eat some Apple Struddle and ice-cream. AS if that wasn’t enough I was once again FORCED to eat what I call MUD PIE, now that was so bad, I had to have my arm twisted and eat another helping. So after that little snack and feeling the pangs of hunger lingering in my belly, we waddled off to our respective sleeping arrangements.

I drove by Pipers and dropped off my un-finished canoe. Piper forced me to eat a slice of smoked meat, which almost filled me up.The weather reports called for severe T.Storms and High winds. Since I was going to sleep in my hammock, I had no desire to follow in Chucks footsteps and have to cut my way out of it. Besides, I wasn’t on a river camping. Feeling that being a coward, in this instance, was the best idea, I went to the motel and got a room for the night.

Rendezvous, the morning.

Awake in my motel room, I decide to head out for the food gathering, as if I needed any more at that time. As I was leaving my room A fine gentleman in the hallway said, I’ll bet you are with the Southern Paddlers. Well as Chuck wasn’t there, I figured whoever this man was, he didn’t know that to admit to even knowing Chuck through this board was enough to get you banned from polite socitey. I therefore said yep and introduced myself. Well, turns out that it was Bears Buddy, just got in. Now I’m not sure but I think he was late because the Crow er maby Chianaine indians were stiring up some trouble with his transportation. Seams the “Dog Soldiers” messed with the big dog he was depending on to get him to the Ren-dez-vous and he was a bit , about 16 hrs, late getting in. well after a couple of cups o coffee, I drives to Pipers. There I am met by Mr. Piper himself and his lovely bride. Told the food was near ready and to make myself at

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Part two

home. I set up my hammock and commenced to do just that. Shortly thereafter more folks started to arrive. Most carrying some type of boat AND food. I commenced to grazing and didn’t stop.

The list of food has been posted already so I won’t bore y’all with it again. Will say tho that the Crawdad spread was top notch, it just barely beat out the Spinach spread. The Salsa was something to write home about and the stuffed Japlenos were mucho tastey. I am not even going where the Pulled Pork and Bacon Explosion were but, they did seam to disapper rather quickly once they were put out. I was however slightly disapointed that there were only two types of potato salad and I suppose since I am not talking about the food that I shouldn’t mention the sausage either. Where the Brownies and two different cakes came in I am not sure but, after the Banana pudding was moved to the side there seamed to be plenty of room for it to set there and entice a person to taste a bit of it, two or three times. But enough of not talking about the food.

Show and Tell.

Now, I am going to place a disclamer here since I would mix up the owners if I tried to give names. I will say tho that there was a lot to look at. In addition to the boats, there were many knives, several bows, a few blow guns, one crossbow pistol and let me see. One home crafted hammock one store bought hammock Quivers and arrows, you name it.

I got personal instruction from J Dupre on how to put an edge on a knife blade. NOTE: in 20 min. today, I had a sharper knife than I have ever had. My thanks to Joey. The pics of the boats speak for themselves. I was just glad that I could say that mine was a work in progress. I didn’t have to compare that way. We are talking some fine boat builders there. Naturally, and for good reason, Kieth and Seadticks’ pirogue got a lot of ohhs and ahhs. It is just in a class by itself.

Joeys boat looks as if it would fly through the water without making a ripple. The B man had a new Skiff which showed his usual craftsmanship [most excellent] Russell had his pirogue which like my boat was as yet unfinished but you could see class all the way.

Tales were told, some I’m sure may have been not “tall” tales but just short tales streached a bit. As we entered mid day I snuck off to catch a few winks and may have missed a bit of the Boat Science, but not much.

The day continued with talk and trips to the food tables and coolers until I thought about heading out. So around 4:30 I packed up and left. I left with some pics and more importantly the good feeling that comes with knowing you have just met some very fine people.

Ren-dez-vous 2010 may be over but , the memories will last the rest of my life.

Thank you all.