Tagine | SouthernPaddler.com

Tagine

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Awright, Buddy,

1st off, in a good, well seasoned iron skillet, put yerself one cup of oil and one cup of flour.

(A lot of folks tend to heat their oil ifrst before adding the flour but I don't.)

Grab yerself an old wooden spoon and start stirring over a medium heat until it gets the color of a worn copper penny, the missus calls it a red mud color. It takes about 20minutes of constant stirring fer it to get that color.

Run everybody outa the house so as not to distract ya's whilst yer stirring or you is gonna burn it and it won't be any good. If you do burn it, dump it out and start all over again.

Once ya ya git yer roux made, take a large pot and add yer chopped onions, yer chopped celery, cut up okra (but this don't go in till last or it'll cook to pieces).

Cut up a chicken and fill the pot about half way with water after the chicken is in. Bring it to a boil.

After it gits to boilin, add yer roux a spoonful at a time stirring it in real good each time.

Add in some sausage, season to taste (some good spices to add would be: salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, maybe some garlic....that's the nice thing about spices... ya kin add what ya like an' leave out what ya don't).

Turn the heat down to a simmer until the chicken is almost down. This is the best time to be adding that okra.

And when the okra is done, it's BON APPETITE.

Now, my friend, this is just a basic recipe. I wrote chicken in as the meat for this one but you can make it a seafood gumbo, a crawfish gumbo, a gator/croc gumbo. Just about any type of gumbo ya prefer.

Some folks add everything but the kitchen sink whilst others make it about as basic as ya kin git it.

The key ingredient though be the roux. As far as quantities of ingredients I have listed here, I really can't tell ya. The only measurin' I do is for the roux. Everything else I dump in per my taste.

Whilst others may chime in an' give ya's their take on gumbo, I can assure ya's that the one thing we'd all agree on would be the importance of the roux to a gumbo recipe or any recipe that might come along requiring one.

Hope ya find yerself a good one that ya's like, my friend.

By the way, friend, excuse me ignorance but what th' heck be a Tagine?

Dad

islandpiper

Classic Chicken Gumbo

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Creole Soups
Gumbos

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
***** NONE

2 tb Vegetable shortening

2 tb Flour,all-purpose

2 Onions,finely chopped

1 Green bell pepper,fine chop

5 c Warm chicken broth

8 Tomatoes,peeled/chopped

1/2 lb Okra,cut into 1/4" pieces

1/2 c Uncooked rice

2 Ribs celery,chopped

1 ts Salt

1/2 ts Pepper

1/4 ts Thyme

1 Bay leaf

1 Broiler-fryer chicken,cooked

1. In large Dutch oven, melt shortening over low heat; add flour and cook,

stirring, until brown, about 10 minutes (do not hurry; if flour burns, roux

is ruined).

2. Add onions and bell pepper; cook until onion is translucent, about 5

minutes.

3. Slowly add warm broth; stir until broth reaches a boil.

4. Add tomatoes, okra, rice, celery, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaf;

bring to a boil.

5. Add chicken; when mixture boils again, reduce heat to low, cover and

cook about 20 minutes.

6. Stir and cook, covered, 20 minutes longer.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
OK - I got it. the base is like a large, clay saucer you put under larger flower pots to catch excess water. The domed lid is glazed pottery. Arabs use them for cooking and serving from.

Dave, did you get any dried camel dung with it for fires?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Dad, you're a gutless wonder with that maybe. I'm ashamed of you. sigh

Garlic is both a good offense and a good defense. It helps clear up the bloodstream, wards off vampires and werewolves (Keith HATES that part of it), and tastes darned good!

islandpiper

OK, OK......my recipe was a BASIS for good gumbo, add what you like........I used this recipe yesterday and added cajun venison sausage i got from a friend, and garlic and a handful of peeled crawfish......

Oh, and , yes, roux is important, but remember, it is fried flour........let's not make it a religious experience.

Any recipe is modified by any cook.

piper

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
What can you cook in a tagine? I don't see gumbo being done in one.

Piper, I hope I didn't come across as trying to make roux into anything religious. If I did, please, it was not my intention. It is just that roux can be very easily ruined, as I am sure you know, and a good roux is important to a good gumbo.

Awright, we've heard on gumbo now about jambalaya....

Rice version like the missus prefers to make or gumbo-esque version?

:D

dawallace45

Guy's the Tagine is a traditional north African cooking pot , it's also the name of the dish that is cooked in it , basically a very spicy slow cooked stew , the tagine tends to keep the food moist and cooks very tender , they reckon you can do pretty much the same thing with a slow cooker or pressure cooker but it does tend to loose a bit of the flavour for some reason , any way I've got one now so I want to use it , figured that with all the diverse talents here some one else may have had experience with them

No don't intend to cook gumbo in it but gumbo is one of those dishes I really want to try , it seems the main stumbling block will be getting the okra , only ever seen it in the shops a few times in the last 30 years , suppose I'll have to grow my own

No didn't get any camel dung with it but I can probably find a whole lot of roo dung instead

From wikipedia

[ The traditional tajine pot is formed entirely of a heavy clay which is sometimes painted or glazed. It consists of two parts; a base unit which is flat and circular with low sides, and a large cone or dome shaped cover that rests inside the base during cooking. The cover is so designed to promote the return of all condensate to the bottom. With the cover removed, the base can be taken to the table for serving.
Tajine dishes are slow cooked at low temperatures, resulting in tender, falling-off-the-bone meat with aromatic vegetables and sauce. The cover has a knob-like formation at its top to facilitate removing it. While simmering, the cover can be lifted off without the aid of a mitten, enabling the cook to inspect the main ingredients, add vegetables, move things around, or add additional braising liquid, if needed.

Recently, European manufacturers have created tajines with heavy cast iron bottoms that can be fired on a stovetop at high heat. This permits browning meat and vegetables before cooking. While the similar Dutch oven (a cast iron pot with a tight cover) braises most efficiently in the oven, the tajine braises best on the stovetop. ]

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Well, Dave, I hope some instructions and suggested recipes came along with it. I think you struck out as far as finding any expertise on here. We're duds.

As far as okra, you're likely one step ahead ignoring it - vegetable snot.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend David,

I figger ya'll kin raize okra downunder....if a Kookabura dont eat it off the stalk. :wink: I like the young okra raw, cut up in a salad, but my belly dont. After gumbo, it goes good in soup 'er stew.....thickens watery stuff. Miz Bear steamed some okra a few months back, then put it in the ice box. Later I jest sprinkled some salt 'n nibbled on it. Surprized me cuz I always figgered okra wuz best fried like catfish fillets, but without the mustard 'n horseradish. Hmmmm.....mebbe that would be some fine eatin'?

regards
bearridge

Dragline: Why you got to go and say fifty eggs for? Why not thirty-five or thirty-nine?
Luke: I thought it was a nice round number.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
kayak jack wrote:

Ya jest ain't had some done up by folks who know how to done it, Jack. I know, I used ta feel th' same ways 'bout it, myself.

Steve

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
sheena's dad said:
kayak jack wrote:

Ya jest ain't had some done up by folks who know how to done it, Jack. I know, I used ta feel th' same ways 'bout it, myself.

Steve
When ya get our mind back, Steve, you'll realize that you were right all along. :D

I've had it in the South, and in the North. haven't found any difference so far. But - mebbe you can educate me on one of these paddling expeditions we're thinking of? I'm ready to give you a chance there.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ain't nothing better then Okra , fried , steamed , boiled or baker ..... my favorite for snacking... Pickled with hot peppers. :D

Okra and Tamaters .... WOW , Something really good and a salad is not a salad without okra in it raw or otherwise.

Chuck.