Tagine | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tagine

islandpiper

The poly-electric nature of the sap (slime) has been known to short out electric appliances, draw down the batteries in kitchen emergency flashlights and destroy calculators in it's proximity.

Hey, Chuck, aren't you having some trouble with your pacemaker?

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
islandpiper said:
Hey, Chuck, aren't you having some trouble with your pacemaker?

piper

No Pacer , that part works fine , the trouble is when my pump wants to just ..STOP BEATING , the Defibrillator jump starts it again. Yep.. Battery running down , new one ( whole 9 yards in 7 days) which will keep me going for another 7 or 8 years.

This way I can have more Okra to eat. Okra does not bother it , it is a sealed unit , as far as the rest of me it's never been right ... I love my Okra and other good stuff.

Chuck.
See I can express my desires about food and not say Vienna's.

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Dave,

You can omit the okra, if you can't get it. Like I said, originally, some folks put everything but the kitchen sink, others get as basic as they can. It's all a matter of your particular tastes, as with all cooking. Like, Piper San's recipe, he listed tomatoes for his. To me, and it's just my personal opinion, tomatoes tend to water a gumbo down. Some people like it with tomatoes. I just don't happen to be one of them. But, like I said, it's all a matter of personal taste.

Steve

islandpiper

David, in a pinch you can get stalks of wild nettles, slice them about 4-5 mm thick across the grain. Soak these in a poor quality of library mucilage, the old fashion kind. Leave a liberal quantity on the slices so that it oozes onto every surface it touches. Lacking the mucilage, then carefully scrape earthworms, retaining the slime you get off them and soak the nettle slices in that.

Really......okra is an ornamental plant brought to the new world as an accident.

Pride disallows the admission of this mistake and a subculture of kitchen uses has grown around this unfortunate vegetable.

Just because God lets it grow here doesn't mean we MUST eat it.

Piper

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Dave, when I first posted to this thread, I forgot to tell you one crucial aspect for the okra. Prior to adding it to the gumbo, sautee it, or fry it (unbreaded) to prevent it from going slimey on ya. What with all the talk about everyone's love/hate regard for okra I should've remembered sooner. Sometimes I take it for granted that everyone knows and forget to make sure they do.

Gents, this is one of hte secrets to being able to have "snot-free" okra.

Dad

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dave, what kinds of (okra free)dishes are you planning to cook on the tajik? I'm pretty sure that nothing like okra grows native in Morocco - though God knows they damned well deserve it!

Looked to me like roasting meat would be a primary task for it. Maybe add onions, garlic, & potatoes later on in the process.

The net site mentioned couscous as a standard side dish with meals form one. If you don't have that Down Under, just get any pasta and run it through a blender until it's about the size of #6 shot. Then just pour boiling water over it, cover it, and let it set.

If you cook with Arabic spices, and that would be fun, then mint tea would likely go along well with the meal.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Tagine)

A tajine or tagine (pronounced /tɑːˈʒiːn/; Arabic: طاجين, IPA: [tˁaːdʒiːn]) is the name of a type of North African dish (Algeria, Morocco, Libya and Tunisia) as well as the special pot to cook them in. The traditional tajine pot is formed entirely of a heavy clay which is sometimes painted or glazed. It consists of two parts; a base unit which is flat and circular with low sides, and a large cone or dome shaped cover that rests inside the base during cooking. The cover is so designed to promote the return of all condensate to the bottom. With the cover removed, the base can be taken to the table for serving.

Tajine dishes are slow cooked at low temperatures, resulting in tender, falling-off-the-bone meat with aromatic vegetables and sauce. The cover has a knob-like formation at its top to facilitate removing it. While simmering, the cover can be lifted off without the aid of a mitten, enabling the cook to inspect the main ingredients, add vegetables, move things around, or add additional braising liquid, if needed.

Recently, European manufacturers have created tajines with heavy cast iron bottoms that can be fired on a stovetop at high heat. This permits browning meat and vegetables before cooking. While the similar Dutch oven (a cast iron pot with a tight cover) braises most efficiently in the oven, the tajine braises best on the stovetop.

Famous tajine dishes are mqualli (chicken and citron), kefta (meatballs and tomato) and mrouzia (lamb, raisins and almonds).

Other ingredients for a tajine include any product that braises well: fish, pigeon, beef, dried fruits, olives and vegetables. Tajine dishes are traditionally flavoured with cinnamon, saffron, ginger, garlic, Ras el hanout, cumin, and peppers. Quince is frequently added to meat.

Western recipes include pot roasts, ossobuco, lamb shanks and turkey legs. Seasonings can be traditional, French, Italian or to suit the dish.

DM
mike (yuummmm...ossobuco :D )

Dave, let us know how the Tagine cooking goes for ya, might have to look at getting one of them myself.

dawallace45

Been going through some of the recipes from the link OZ sent me the other night and there are some beauties , need to replenish my spice rack first , there are actually some spices I need that I don't have or at least I need refills for , Will plan some recipes maybe for next week or maybe for the week after , probably not much point doing it just for my self and Shirley is away most of the week

Jack not planing to cook any okra containing dishes in the Tagine have a heavy cast iron camp oven for that , some of those fish dishes for the tagine look very interesting , got a new motor ordered for the boat , been putting away for it for about 3 years so I want to be doing a lot of fishing soon , or as soon as my brothers house is finished , well that and the extensions to the shed and all the concrete paths ,

Been thinking of getting back into spearfishing again , haven't done any for about 20 years or so , lost my last speargun on it's first shot , speared a rather large GT and it wasn't a instant kill shot and the fish took off and went deep , took my new speargun with it , couldn't hold my breath long enough or go deep enough to keep hold of the gun , bloody sinus infection , but I figure it's time for a new one some time soon , how is that for getting off topic ?

DM , no problem will let you know how it goes

My wife tends to like boring food , when she is home we tend to eat T-bone steak and salad twice a day , I intend to convert her to the dark side , that is why the questions about gumbo and jambalaya

David

dawallace45

Jack , can get couscous from the supermarket , the only things we can't get easily are Grits , Black-eyed peas and okra , will try grits one day , have tried black-eyed peas and won't be trying them again , must be a acquired taste , mate from Kentucky always reckoned that when the Yankees sacked the south they left he Black-eyed peas as they reckoned them fodder and not fit for human consumption , he also reckons it's the only time the Yankees turned out to be right

David