Tagine | Page 4 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tagine

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Okra is one vegetable you don't want to eat underdone like you can with green bean, carrots, etc. You have to cook the $&^% out of it until the "moisture" (slime) is gone. We always smothered it down until it dried up a bit and darkened some. Has a nutty flavor when done that way. The closest thing I could compare it to is asparagus.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Joey,

I used ta like the baby okra.....raw, cut up in a salad. Mitey tasty 'n really thickens it. However, one day my gut tole me not ta put no more raw okra in it. I didnt listen rite off, but by'n by I give it up. Fried okra iz my favorite, but I am waitin' on some high dollar medickle school report that folks who eat fried food all the time live longer, git better lookin', leap tall houses in a single bound 'n kin afford high dollar whores before I lose my suspicions.

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

Sen. George Higgins Moses, R-N.H., offered a colorful, if intemperate, appeal, insisting that a sales tax would “strike down the vicious principle of graduated taxation which appears in the pending [House] tax bill, and which is but a modern legislative adaptation of the Communistic doctrine of Karl Marx.â€

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bear, fried okra is good and I like pickled okra too. A little smothered 7 steak, rice, creamy creole white beans cooked with salt pork and a few baby pickled okra---YUM!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
jdupre' said:
Okra is one vegetable you don't want to eat underdone like you can with green bean, carrots, etc. You have to cook the $&^% out of it until the "moisture" (slime) is gone. We always smothered it down until it dried up a bit and darkened some. Has a nutty flavor when done that way. The closest thing I could compare it to is asparagus.

I can't swear to it but if you slice the okra and soak it in some cold water , very cold water with a tablespoon of salt or lemon juice it is suppose to get rid of the slime.
1 hour in the salt mix or 1/2 hour in the lemon mix.

I use okra in soups and stews and like the slime since it makes a good thickening agent. Pickled okra is always a good snack or side dish here at the house , I do like it. :D The wife can't stand it , she picked to much of it ( on her dad's farm) when growing up. :roll:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
I use okra in soups and stews and like the slime since it makes a good thickening agent. Pickled okra is always a good snack or side dish here at the house , I do like it.
O Master of Flowbizness,
The slime iz the best part. Once upon a time I used some ta make a "gravy" on a baked potato. It wuz fittin'.

regards
bearridge

Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

islandpiper

I'll share my favorite okra recipe:

6 c. fresh okra sliced across, real thin.
1 slice fresh onion
1/2 c salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp cumin

mix all the spices and stir into the okra and onion, leave set in the fridge for 2 full days.

Then, move the container out to the countertop for one day.

then, the third day move it all out to the back porch and leave it for 3-4 weeks till it is just about dried out and will come out of the dish easily. Tap the dish on the inside rim of the garbage can and take it back into the house, ready for the next time somebody brings you a bag of free okra.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend piper,

I seen people git on disability fer that kinda thinkin'. Sad....really sad. :wink:

regards
bearridge

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Take all the okra you can get,
mix it with all the Viennie snausages you can buy,
add in any fresh-water fish nearby,
add Nuk Mon fish sauce,
feed the mess to anyone who will eat it.

Try to not snicker too loudly as you go home.

islandpiper

Jack, got any nuk-mon you can share?

I am reminded on the resort on Chicaguan Lake in the UP. They had a fish cleaning station away from the dock and up near the lodge. It was just a kitchen sink with the drain over a 250 gallon oil tank buried in the dirt. Every five years or so, they'd pump out that tank and spread it on the garden and flower beds. Man, did that stuff work to make the garden grow.

Piper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
islandpiper said:
...a fish cleaning station away from the dock and up near the lodge. It was just a kitchen sink with the drain over a 250 gallon oil tank buried in the dirt. Every five years or so, they'd pump out that tank and spread it on the garden and flower beds. Man, did that stuff work to make the garden grow.
BINGO! You just hit the best use for fish - fertilizer to grow something good to eat.

"Nuk mon - no havu, GI."