Tagine | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Tagine

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I suspect that a yen for lots of local dishes is an acquired taste kind of a deal. If those recipes are for cooking while traveling, one or two may well be adaptable to camping as well as at home. I always have an eye out for a "that would be good camping" kind of recipe.

Dave, let us know if you start getting any urges to shoot down passing airliners, OK? We'll have Shirley withdraw those tajine recipes from your diet. :roll:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
dawallace45 said:
Jack , can get couscous from the supermarket , the only things we can't get easily are Grits , Black-eyed peas and okra , will try grits one day , have tried black-eyed peas and won't be trying them again , must be a acquired taste , mate from Kentucky always reckoned that when the Yankees sacked the south they left he Black-eyed peas as they reckoned them fodder and not fit for human consumption , he also reckons it's the only time the Yankees turned out to be right

David

David....

If you trust the Yankees for good eats then you might as well just eat Pablum.

" Pablum Mixed Cereal was made from a mixture of ground and pre-cooked wheat (farina), oatmeal, yellow corn meal, bone meal, dried brewer's yeast and powdered alfalfa leaf, fortified with reduced iron â€â€

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
David
I just passed Thur the kitchen Sondra had a can of black eyed pea with jalapenos out ready to fix them for supper.
Couple pork chops of the grill blacked peas maybe some collard greens or spinach big ole pan of corn bread made in the ole cast iron skillet
Man now that's some good grazing then a couple hours from now get you a couple hunks of that cornbread and crumble it up in a glass of sweet milk
Dang now that's some fine eating
PS And the cornbread is not sweet if I want a dang muffin Ill eat it.
Ron

dawallace45

Ron
I'm a big fan of cornbread , love the stuff , would eat it for every meal if I could but I'm fat enough already , love Chilli con carne and Red beans in Rice too , jalapenos are great too , I some times put them on my bacon and eggs for breakfast , they are great on sandwiches as well , go pretty much with any food , but you can keep your Black-eyed peas

David

dawallace45

Mike
Cooked Lamb Tagine with Sweet Tomato Jam on Sunday , it's a Moroccan recipe , not as spicy as some but very nice , I decided to introduce my wife to spicy gradually , it took 2 hours to cook and the lamb was melt in your mouth tender but still full flavoured , in short I'm impressed with the Tagine

Jack not having any urges to shoot down passing airliners [ don't let my new fishing and paddling hat fool you http://www.frillneck.com.au/catalog/pro ... ucts_id=68 , Bear would be proud ]

One note about aeroplanes , about 20 years ago I did ring the airport at Redcliffe and tell them to tell the guy flying the Pitt Special that if he ever flew that low over my house again I'd put a rock through his wind shield , the guy from the airport told me it was a serious offence to threaten to shoot down a aeroplane , I told him that if he was listening I didn't say any thing about shooting any plane down , he asked my what I was so upset about and I told him that the guy with the Pitt Special had been practicing aerobatics over my house and had been flying too low , he asked me what the serial number of the plane was and I told him I didn't think to look , he told me that if the plane was really under legal height I'd be able to see the numbers clearly , I told him the numbers were clear but I didn't think to check them out or record them but I could give a ID on the pilot , I told him that the pilot was wearing a blue short sleeve shirt , he had on sunglasses , a yellow cap with Shell written on the front , red hair and a moustache , and a look of horror and fright on his face as he flew under the power lines in front of my house , strangely enough I never had a problem from that plane again

Jack , got a Moroccan recipe book , there are recipes with okra

David

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I had an alarming experience on the river once in northern Missouri David. Me and Frank were on a float fish trip down the Weldon river when I kept hearin this strange noise comin from up river. This rumblin sound kept getting loader and loader so I told Frank I don't know what the heck that is maybe the dam broke back up river. Then as we reached the bank this huge air force plane flies over at what I thought was just over the tree tops. Big ole girl too had four engines and movin. Come to find out later they where running under Radar exercises for the air base in Omaha.

islandpiper

In Upper Michigan we lived fairly close to K I Sawyer AFB, home of a B-52 Bombing group. They did low level fly overs to practice coming in UNDER the base radar. Several times while fishing on area lakes they would suddenly appear, no better way to phrase it. In those days my vision was better and I could see rivets on the fuselage. Stunning. Carry on boys, locked and loaded!

Piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Dad and Piper pretty well covered the classic gumbo recipe. But, gumbo recipes differ every 20 miles even in Cajun country. The basic idea is that it is a one pot, use what you have type of dish to feed a lot of hungry people with a minimum amount of meat. Same with jambalaya. Throw it all in the pot. By the way, my parents told me of the many times they ate blackbird jambalaya. Yes, they would get a whole mess of them that hung around the chicken yard. Waited until they could get 20 or 30 in one shotgun blast. Shells were expensive.

dawallace45

jdupre

Think I'll try a chicken or seafood gumbo , guess I'll pass on the Blackbirds , been reading and some of the recipes call for file powder instead of okra , think I may be able to get file powder

Piper , think I'll pass on the nettles , the only kind I've seen around here are the Gympie Gympie and I won't even walk near those

David

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
dawallace45, you don't have to have okra or file' to have an authentic gumbo. Just think of it as a really hearty soup served with a little rice. Done right, it should taste like the essence of the meat you use, kind of like the juices that collect in the bottom of the pan when you slow-cook a good pot roast.
By now, I've just made myself VERY hungry. :)

Joey

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Dave, when it comes to gumbo, the more ya make it and the more you add and subtract from it (adding what ya like, subtracting what ya don't) ya turn it into your recipe.

Pretty much the same as with any other recipe. All ya need are the basics.

The missus makes chicken gumbo mostly when she makes it, seafood gumbo when I've b*^&%$@ enough about it for her to give in. That she usually tries to wait for me to make.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
David, I have to admit that last week I ate some okra. Ron's family and I were eating in a Ryan's buffet near Waco. They had a tasty looking veggie thing on the salad bar; I took some. the green circles in it were slices of okra.

Unabashed, I quickly ran outside, gave myself three swift uppercuts, returned to the table and committed suicide.

dawallace45

Jack

You poor feller , how they mistreat you ! Oh the inhumanity !

Did they get pictures ? and will they be posted to the list ?

Was talking to a guy last week who said his mother used to grow it and they ate it regularly , he reckoned it was a great vegetable once you got used to it and was especially good when cooked right , but he reckoned unfortunately he never seemed to be able to cook it right and his always turned out like cr#p

David

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
dawallace45 said:
...he reckoned it was a great vegetable once you got used to it and was especially good when cooked right , but he reckoned unfortunately he never seemed to be able to cook it right and his always turned out like cr#p
He's right, ya know. No matter how you cook it, it's still okra.