The Swamper- new design | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Swamper- new design

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'm going with the V bottom. Just as soon go all the way. I have the rear station wired in. I just took a WAG and put it 30" back of center. I'm working on the one in front of center. Wife thought I was crazy. I sat down on the carport with a tape measure stretched beside me and assumed the " paddling position". :roll: :mrgreen: Measured that and will put my front station at that point. These are just temporary until I put it in the water.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'm figuring with the assymtrical shape and SKINNY bow section, I'll have to sit a bit farther back.

The station in front of center is stitched in. Stations one and four are next and then the bottom.

This is where she'll go when the weather turns bad. Snug fit.

100_0757.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
A few things I've learned:

1. If at all possible, build a work table about as long and wide as your boat.
2. Leave the edge exposed all around so the spring clamps can fit around two pieces of your ply and the table edge. Very
handy.
3. An accurate centerline down the length and across the width off your table is handy.
4. Measure twice, think about it for a while, measure twice more and THEN cut. :mrgreen:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'm officially a geezer now. Looked over at the number of posts - 1003. Wow, that's sounds like a lot. It's seems fitting that it occurred during the Swamper build.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
All stations are wired in. I might need to do a little tweaking but I'm liking the shape. Started fitting the bottom panels. Using cardboard to get close to the finished shape. The procedure is closer to Ron's than to Matt's. Makes it interesting, huh Ron. :lol:

100_0761.jpg

100_0765.jpg

I'm not sure how the ply will lay over that gradual curve from the center forward. If necessary, I'll cut a bit of clearance where the two panels meet. I also haven't glued the bow and stern together yet, so that will give me a little leeway to fit the bottom in.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Making a bit o' progress. The rough patterns are cut for the bottom panels. They need to be trued up and used to draw and cut the bottom from the second sheet of ply. I put one on top of the other and it really shows the asymmetry.

100_0767.jpg

I have to work most of the weekend, but should be able to cut out and start to fit the bottom panels.

Hey, Ron, my neighbors think I'm crazy too. I put the hull on the grass and sat "in" it and tested my paddling stroke. :mrgreen: It was too cool to look out over that skinny bow and think what it will be like with Lake Verret in the picture. 8)

Later.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jd
Your boat is looking good,I am really enjoying your build.
Its funny I start just opposite of you ,I build my bottom first and then the sides. Just shows there is all kinds of ways to skin a boat. :D
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Ron, in hindsight, building the bottom first would have probably been a little faster. Fitting the sides to the bottom would no doubt have been easier than the other way around. Probably a left over from the pirogue way of building.

I have all the bottom panels cut and will splice them together in the next couple of days.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Jd
I hate to tell you this but you have set up camp on the dark side,better build a new boat shed ,cause id eals for boats never stop.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yep, 'fraid so, Ron. It's bad when you not only figure what you could do better on the next build, but what you could have done better on THIS build. You're right, got ideas for the next 5 or 6 boats. No hope for me now. :lol: