Time for another pirogue | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Time for another pirogue

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
This is likely a dumb question, but, does anyone ever put a sail on a pirogue? You cover a fair amount of open water on Lake Verrett (sp?), and it could be handy.

About 12 years ago I made one ( pirogue ) rigged for sailing along with a canoe.
ready%20to%20sail.jpg

Jack before you ask , here is how I made everything for sailing. ( pdf file ) http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/sail/sail.pdf
For the article and all the pictures.... http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/littleton/Default.htm

Plus if you go to this http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/photos.htm and scroll threw the pages you will see all sorts of sails on different pirogues.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'd remembered that you'd built that. I always liked it.
I can envision Joey, sailing across Lake Verrett - parrot on his shoulder, cutlass at his belt, dagger in his teeth, CO2 powered Kentucky rifle in his hand, sextant at his eye, chart in his hand, ear to the ground, shoulder to the wheel, eye on the horizon, breeze in his hair, sun on his shoulder, as he sails into Muddy Bayou.
Single malt is good.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Screeeeeeeeeech. ( sound of dragging this thread back on track)

Beekeeper asked me for an estimated weight on the pirogue. Not much there yet but I have a "sort of" weight for the boat.

The two sides with : 1x12 heavy pine center form with a 2x4x12" piece of wet press. treat. yellow pine on each side, two hulking 4" C clamps to hold the form, six 1" spring clamps and 20 ft of 1/4" rope to wrap the ends......35 lbs. Lose all the extra stuff and add back on : bottom, about 10-20 lbs of chines, gunnels and breast hooks, glue, nails and paint....... I gotta figure right about 50 lbs. I would be overjoyed with that weight.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Not too much progress, Jack. Cut, sanded and attached the chine and stems onto one side. The other chine should go on tomorrow and maybe put it back on the form and start fitting the bottom Sunday or Monday.

One more spec. The stems were cut to 42 degrees.... a little sharper angle than keith and seedtics pirogues, but quite a bit bigger angle than the 30 degree stem angle of the fir marine plywood pirogue I made a few years back. This is going to be a fishing boat and I wanted a little fuller bottom shape.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Chines are done and the pirogue is back on the form looking like a boat. I flattened and leveled the chines and fitted the bottom. I'll use one splice a foot behind the paddler.

The rocker is more than I expected ( almost 2" -- front and back) . The side panels didn't bend the same way with the chines as without. No problem. It should perform well enough for short fishing trips.

Joey

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
Looking good there, Joey! I like your approach to this project.

I remember you first cut the sides to 14'4". Now that you have them in place, what is the total length? Just trying to get an idea about how much length is reduced by bending the sides into the final shape.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
jdupre' said:
The rocker is more than I expected ( almost 2" -- front and back) . The side panels didn't bend the same way with the chines as without. No problem. It should perform well enough for short fishing trips.

Joey

Did the beam width of the sides also change? What is it now?

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Mike, I ended up cutting some off of the bow height which shortened the sides by about an inch. I figured bending the sides to shape shortened the boat about 6". But, this boat only has a 22" bottom. Wider bottoms will shorten the final length even more.

JD, the beam width is 31 and 3/4". I can't say anything changed because the center form held everything true. I just think the added stiffness of the chines changed the way the sides bent.

The sideview shape of the bottom did not come out as expected. Just a bit more rocker than I wanted and the bottom doesn't have a smooth arc out towards the stems. I tried to correct it before the bottom went on by pulling the sides in and out but no luck.

I tried to go more towards the heavily flaired marsh pirogue style and there is a bit more of a learning curve to that design. No problem. She'll do fine for short fishing trips and pond hopping. I have less than 60 bucks in her and all I need is a few trim pieces and paint. A lot of bang for the buck.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
FlaMike said:
Looking good there, Joey! I like your approach to this project.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Mike, my "approach" , like most plans from Roll The Dice Fabricators, is kind of building on the fly. While I enjoy that approach, I tend to hurry a build along because I want to see progress. Details sometimes get overlooked. Not the best way to do things but it's the curse of an overactive mind. :? Think of a somewhat calmer Robin Williams building a boat . :lol:
While I do genuinely appreciate some of the fine craftsmanship I see on this forum, a build that lasts for months and requires endless attention to minute details is not my strong suite. Perfection, for some, is worth the months of tedious details. To me, the perfect boat is the one that's on the water.

Joey

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Beam width sounds about right, and I doubt if you will be disapointed with 2" of rocker. What angle did you cut the chine logs?
I also had issues with getting the dimensons I wanted. If you have plans or a pattern attaching the chine logs to the sides first works fine. I find attaching them to the floor first, after setting it to the rocker and shape I want works best, when not using plans. When you build the next one you can use this one as a pattern and tweek it to what you want.
Don't worry about overlooking details because you were building too fast. I build realy slow and still over look things. :roll: Just keep reminding yourself, "What is time to a boat?" :lol:

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Bee, I attached the chines to the sides before assembly. Needed 6 hands for that job. :roll: I cut the tops of the chines at 30 degrees to keep water from collecting there. The bottoms I just extended down past the sides by a quarter inch and I planed everything flat and level after assembly.

Joey

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Too late for this build, but for your next one, draw the arc of the bottom of the side on a 2 X 12. Attach the chine to the 2 X12 with small finishing nails, following the arc that you drew. Glue and nail the side to the chine. When the glue sets up, carefully pry the side and chine away from the 2 X 12. Pull thru the finishing nails.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
seedtick said:
Too late for this build, but for your next one, draw the arc of the bottom of the side on a 2 X 12. Attach the chine to the 2 X12 with small finishing nails, following the arc that you drew. Glue and nail the side to the chine. When the glue sets up, carefully pry the side and chine away from the 2 X 12. Pull thru the finishing nails.

Now he tells me! :roll:

Tic, I had seen a reference to that tip in one of y'all builds. I managed with a few clamps and a brad nailer :shock: as I went along. Shot it with the brad nailer and came right back with proper fasteners. The cedar bent fairly easily. Worked a treat---- as Mic would say.

Seedtick, I did like y'all do and cut the chines with a falling angle on top so water won't build up on them. Slick......and looks elegant too.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Jack, I considered a SOF boat, but don't think it is a fit for this part of the world. Around here, you WILL get mud and muck and grass and sticks in a boat. I just can't see being able to clean all of that mess out of a SOF with all the internal "stuff".

But, hey, who knows? I've built boats out of a 55 gal plastic barrel and heavy duty aluminum foil so why not ?!

Joey