Sep 5, 2006
UK
Listen Mate,

Just slow down will you...

- Pile of planks,
- Planks tied together,
- Hull fared,
- Now epoxy saturated.

All in a matter of days! It's making me look bad. I just managed to glue the bottom on my pirogue having had the sides joined and rails glued for two weeks (I have been a poorly though).

Seriously Mick it is looking great. Nice lines and a really nice finish on that hull. Go for it!

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi guys,

Thanks fellers.

I have been pretty lucky - time wise. My build just happened to coincide with a group of 8 rostered days off.

The colour thing is a trick of the light. I wish it/she was that dark. will definately be staining the next one.

Back to work now for a few days. By then the rest of my epoxy and fibreglass mat should be here.

Hopefull in a week or so will be able to lift her from the ' back. Inside should take a lot longer.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It appears to me the boat was named incorrectly by calling it the Southern Cross or South Wind.

It should of been named the Breeze. You just breeze along making it , it is a Breeze to put together.
Just add epoxy and the next day ( so it seams ) you will be breezing along paddling it.

OR....... Mick has a labor force coming in and helping , I would say about 12 guy's at the minimum. :lol:

Mick she is ....... Looking Good........

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
and with luck, the strongback will come loose.

' course it will :D :D

Thanks Chuck, Coming from you that means a lot mate.

This one just seems to be falling together real easy. i have been putting in some pretty big days on her though.

Still not smoking (30 days now :D :D ) so that has helped a lot time wise. No smoke breaks. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
hairymick said:
... Still not smoking (30 days now :D :D ) so that has helped a lot time wise. No smoke breaks. :D
Mick, m' boy, THIS is what I'm most proud of you for. Keep going, tough guy. A lesser man wouldn't have hacked it.

I just shuffle the pieces of plywood, pour epoxy all over'em, and go upstairs. Next morning - A BOAT! Little elves, I think. (I'm sure it isn't little faeiries - cause Jimmie lives too far away.)

stevesteve

Sep 5, 2006
UK
Jack,

Just make sure that you never make them a little boat to say "Thanks". That's what the cobbler and his wife did and the little beggers were never seen again :D

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks for all the kind word guys,

Bit more done today. :D

IMG_0307Small.jpg

Wet out.

IMG_0312Small.jpg

Third coat. (in this heat, the resin is going off in 3 hours :D )

IMG_0319Small.jpg

IMG_0320Small.jpg

Sit backer Seat base started. Thanks for the idea Chuck :D

IMG_0323Small.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Lookin' good. Got neighbors? I have always pichured ya'll livin' way out in whatever ya'll call the "boonies". :wink: I like the view outta yer shop.

regards
bearridge

Overgrown military establishments are, under any form of government, inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty. George Washington

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mick
The boat is really taking shape and looking good like a wood boat should.

On the seat support , I could not tell from the picture , run a piece of wood doweling along the front and back edges of the slats for the seat.

This will give the straps on the sitbacker a lot more support and something to snug them down against. The doweling I had on the front was to low for the straps to go around. I had to run the front strap on the slats and managed to break one of them.. a wood dowel in place of it corrected that problem.

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Hi & thanks guys, :D

Bro' Bear,

Lookin' good. Got neighbors? I have always pichured ya'll livin' way out in whatever ya'll call the "boonies". I like the view outta yer shop.

Mate, I do live in a small country town of about 300 souls. tis about 9 miles(or ten minutes) from the sea and about a mile & a half from my local river. About half an hour from a couple of major (for here) regional cities and the bush lifestyle out here suits me just fine. I haven't locked, or even shut my back door in seven years :D :D

Yep, Ive got neighbours, A couple of hippies live down the back near my yak shed and a real old couple live next door.

The view outa my shop is looking up my block towards my stink boat shed and metal shop. just to the left (out of sight), is our humble abode.

OK,

Ready to come off the strongback,
IMG_0327Small.jpg

Off. and Jack, the stations came out easy :D
IMG_0329Small.jpg

Filleted
IMG_0332Small.jpg

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Thanks Jack,

I look at the lines of this boat and cant help but think that at around 15 feet or so and fully decked, It might make an excellent, high volume sea kayak, or day, or multy day tourer. As it is, I think it will be superb for what I want it for.

I know the heavily raked and very high up-swept bows are in fashion at the moment, but for the life of me, I can't see any advantage to them. I would think that if they were such a good thing, the Inuit would have used them.

Inside is filleted and cleaned up.

IMG_0336Small.jpg

Saturation coat and end pours are done.

IMG_0339Small.jpg

IMG_0341Small.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Mick, one thing an upswept bow does, is allow a dip, and then a resurging upsweep again just before the cockpit. This dip in a foredeck will allow waves to slide off before they reach the paddler.

They also catch the wind and cause problems in crosswinds.. I have also thought that, since the Inuits didn't have handy little grab handles on their boats, they may have stuck those elegant ends up under an arm for a two man carry.