Rip-Roaring Rendezvous Report 2010 | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Rip-Roaring Rendezvous Report 2010

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Great post, Baldy. Enjoyed meeting you , Bears Buddy, Beekeeper and son as well as catching up with some of the "regulars". Dawallace and I had a nice converstion about bows , bow woods and woodturning. Felt like old friends.

As an aside, we tend to forget how amazing the technology is that we have at our disposal. I was standing under Piper's carport in Ponchatoula , La. talking into a gadget the size of a candy bar and having a great conversation with a bloke plumb halfway around the world in Australia. Not even thought remotely possible when we were kids, eh?

I'm with the other attendees, it was another great experience. Thanks again, piper.

Joey

islandpiper

It is Sunday night, pushing ten PM and I just got back from Natchitoches, another long day. I'll get off my behind and post some pics tomorrow. Wannabe, are you putting yours up or do you want me to? I think I'm going to put the whole album on PHOTOBUCKET and then post some of them here.

General note to EVERYONE, in response to your various THANK YOU's:

YOU ARE MOST WELCOME. Yes, Diane and I work a bit to pull this off, there's a lot of little details most of you never see, and then buckets of food, too. But, we love doing it. This forum is the best and you all are the forum, so we are happy to wiggle this into our schedule each year. This year it would not fit till yesterday, no way. But, all's well that ends well.

With left overs today we fed a group of students at NSU and they were happy with that. The Spinach dip and Crawfish dip and Salsa were great to nibble on while the pulled pork heated up in the micro. Waste not, want not.

Pics tomorrow. piper

dawallace45

Bob

You sure it wasn't the dulcet tones of Pipers bagpipes that gave you that Tinnitus ? but yeah , I know what you mean , years ago when I was shooting a IPSC match I was doing a room clearing and knocked my ear muffs off as I went into the room , couldn't hear for about a hour or so and had the ringing for months , did the same thing when practicing room clearing in a old house on a mates property , this time I was using a Benelli semi-auto 12 gauge with extended mag tube , lovely peace of gear , knocked my ear muffs off again as I went through the door , after that I went to ear plugs , I've always worn ear protection when shooting , I have some industrial deafness but it's more caused by machinery than guns

Joey , yeah , enjoyed the talk , my favorite subjects are bows , timber , knifes , boats , fishing and if we had ever got as far as guns I'd still be on the phone now

David

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
islandpiper said:
Dang, screwed up again this year. I'm kicking myself for not getting a GROUP PICTURE of the whole bunch grinning at the camera.

piper
That's an easy fix:

Rendezvous 2011

Can't say enough "thank yous" to piper and his lovely bride for once again hosting this fun event. Perhaps there might be a Rendezvous paddle in the future?!? 8)

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
piper when you ,your betterhalf & people like you guys give from the heart you will be blessed. its people like all you guys that had a part that makes the world a better place especially the forum. :D i couldn,t be there but after reading & looking at all post i feel like i was. :wink:

Steve

rpecot said:
islandpiper said:
Dang, screwed up again this year. I'm kicking myself for not getting a GROUP PICTURE of the whole bunch grinning at the camera.

piper
That's an easy fix:

Rendezvous 2011

Can't say enough "thank yous" to piper and his lovely bride for once again hosting this fun event. Perhaps there might be a Rendezvous paddle in the future?!? 8)

Group Pix/Rendevous 2011. . . Light and Shadow, as well as Color. . . My job, next year. . . Booth will be set up next to the smoker. . . . Pix to be taken between tasting raids when Piper's back is turned. . . And Susie is researching something special she has in mind to donate to help you cover the expense for next year's shin-dig, Piper . . . So, all I need to know is the date when you guys settle on it, cuz Susie is ready to buy the plane tickets. . . .

islandpiper

This brings us to the Annual Meeting portion of the gig. Upon hearing the official bell, everyone sat down quietly with their hands folded and prepared for this momentus event. Well......let's skip ahead to the fun part. I had taken names on bits of paper and Diane began drawing for door prizes. We had several padded nylon pouches for hooking on the belt or someplace, which would fit a camera or a revolver...whatever. Then, some tooled leather drink coasters, to keep the furniture safe at home. Each was different and will remind the guys of Rendezvous every time their wives say "use a coaster!". Then, a leather bound notebook, pocket size. I think everyone liked what they won.

Last but certainly not least were hand forged bacon hooks made by Seedtick and Keith from leftover grave yard iron. These handy little tools will turn steaks, bacon, sausage or chicken better than any flat implement. Everyone got one of these. The first year we did this Seedtick brought his own brand of hot pepper sauce and i handed out harmonicas. Seems like there is always something to put in your pocket to carry home from Rendezvous.

THANKS TO SEEDTICK AND KEITH for their efforts and these handy tools!!

piper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks ,again, to Piper and all for Saturday. I'm still :) :) :) :) when I think about the food, conversation, gifts, and everyone. Having the "refresher/introductory Rendezvous" Friday night added to it. :D

beekeeper

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Armys and Geezers travel on their stomachs so we'll start there. The smoker was going most of the day. Don't know how many trays of stuffed jalapenos went through the smoker but it was a bunch.[img
IMG_0034.jpg
][/img]
This is The Most Revered and Wonderous Bacon Explosion crafted by the world famous Islandpiper.
i290.
1/Bobngay/IMG_0030.jpg[/IMG]
IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

I was distracted or something and did not get a picture of the finished product. If someone else to one please post it.Here is some pictures of us doing what we do best.
IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

And happy birthday Carol
IMG_0072.jpg

Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
BOATS
Lordy, where to start. The first one I saw when I pulled into Friend Keiths driveway was Bald Cypress's stripper on his truck. He said that it was built to be a workhorse and not a thing of beauty. You be the judge.
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

This is Joey's most favorite boat in the whole wide world. It hauls the famous Islandpipers Dutch Oven.
IMG_0020.jpg

Russell would be able to finish this boat if he would quit using it.
IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

Bob

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
MORE BOATS,
JDupree, our very own Joey. He built himself a perouge and loved it. Joey being Joey decided that he could design one his own self. Other guys had so why couldn't he. Looky at what Joey did.
IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Way to go Joey.
Bob

islandpiper

Mr. Wannabe, this may be Jdupre's favorite boat in the bunch for the reason given. But, in the condition shown it is serving as a "critter trap", and having that splitting maul right there ensures that I'll win any argument with whatever drops the trap.

IMG_0020.jpg

I guess there was too much activity in the front yard, we didn't catch anything that day. If we had, it would have gone into the smoker, you can bet on that.
I probably could have tied a couple of see-gars to the maul handle, but I'm not sure that anything that smokes see-gars should be re-smoked.
piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Piper expressed some concern as to the carrying capacity of my new kayak. Piper, on our next camping trip you just let me know if you don't have enough room in your boat for the dutch oven. I'll carry it sitting on my lap if I have to.

Joey