The Swamper- new design | Page 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Swamper- new design

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Belly, having never done this before, I looked at the different ways of doing it and Chuck's way appealed to me. Don't know if it's right for me but we'll find out. Worse case- when I get to the decking and it doesn't work out for some reason, I could easliy install a filler strip to come up to the level of the sides.

Had a small set back. After filleting the bottom seams inside and out, I found the bottom had lost most of it's V in the forward station area. Only thing I can figure is that the epoxy, while dried, was not completely cured and lost some of it's shape while I had the hull upside down for sanding.

I haven't gone to all this trouble for the V bottom and end up with a "sort of" V so I took the saber saw to the center seam :shock: for about three feet and installed wedges. Looks like I got most of the V back. We'll see.

Joey

one more on the shear strips... with them below the edge I'm thinking your decks now have to be perfect fit prior to installing, and they go "inside" the edges of the boat sides??? Just tryin to visualise and can't wrap my tired brain around why anyone would go that route. Thinkin maybe I don't quite get it (I was born a blonde)

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Belly, it sounded good at the time. :mrgreen: I figure I'll put the oversized deck on and scribe around it then scribe another line parralel and inside that line the thickness of the ply. A cut along that second line should put me in the ball park. Like I said, I have the fall-back plan of adding a piece to the shear strips. Every rat has to have more than one hole.
I have other things to tax my brain before I get to that point. It's all fun.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I guess I do mine different.
first strip goes flush are close to it the second strip is from 1/4 to 3/8 higher.
after building my deck ,which i do with 3 or four inches overhang on the side
I place it on the hull and mark around it then cut about 3/4 inch outside the line.
Tack the deck down with brads and then take a belt sander and bring it in to the hull.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Trying to get the V back in the bottom has taken on a new twist. No amount of wedges or pulling in of the sides did much good so I slit the bottom seam most of it's length and will be putting a 2 or 3 more stations in to give me some V back. Kind of drastic, but it's only wood. Can't do much of anything else with all the rain we've been getting.

On a positive note,I'm learning a few subtleties of design.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
With a bunch of fiddling, I was able to get the V back into the bottom. The keel line is not quite as fair as I'd like but much better than before. I learned a lesson about epoxy cure rate. Slow hardener and cool temperatures probably require several days for a good hard cure. I'll let it set maybe a week to be sure before I continue.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
tx river rat said:
JD
The more you do it the more you realize you can add change redo anything on the boat,then it is realy fun.
Ron

I realized what you could get away with when you added that whole corner section back onto one of the little boats for your granddaughters. I figured if you could get that to work, there's almost no limit to what you can fix on a boat. I'm sure you used a few "adult expletives" of your own when you realized you had cut that panel wrong. :mrgreen:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I have the weekend off and the weather looks to be dry but cold. Finally able to put a saturation coat on the kayak.

100_0811.jpg

100_0812.jpg

I found out, even if you are carefull, it's too easy to sand through the top veneer on the luan. Luckily, all those sand throughs are going to be hidden under the graphite coat. I should be able to get the glass on and at least one fill coat this weekend. I feel as if I've turned a corner and am gaining momentum.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
seedtick said:
looking good joey, but you do need a bigger shop :D

I don't know why------ I have 2 inches of excess space on each end. :lol:

The glass is on the kayak. The operation was "interesting", to say the least. Learned a couple more words. I really do need a bigger shop if I'm going to build more boats.

100_0814.jpg

100_0813.jpg

I want to add some extra glass on the high wear areas on the bow and stern. Can I put that on after the epoxy sets up,but still tacky? With the slow hardener, it will be fairly tacky tomorrow morning.

Joey

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
jdupre' said:
I want to add some extra glass on the high wear areas on the bow and stern. Can I put that on after the epoxy sets up,but still tacky? With the slow hardener, it will be fairly tacky tomorrow morning.
Joey
Yep, that shouldn't be any problem.