The Swamper- new design | Page 7 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Swamper- new design

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
likely surface contamination

you've washed off and sanded thru it, if you've still doing fill coats, mix up a small batch of epoxy and put it on and see if you're happy with the results

better to sand off a small area instead of the whole boat

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I put another coat on the outside of the kayak after sanding and really scrubbing with soap and water. Seems to have gone on smoother. I turned it over and gave the inside a saturation coat.

100_0832.jpg

100_0834.jpg

Here's a shot of the paddler's view over the bow.

100_0833.jpg

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
It's time for it to be finished. The sides have a couple of squiggles due to the humidity. The sooner the decks can be attached, the better. We've had an unusual run of cold weather that has slowed me down. So much for global warming. :roll:

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I've been trying to choke down some dutch oven campfire cookin'. :wink: :)

I'm blaming the slow hardener. It takes forever to cure- several days in the cold weather we've been having. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Surprisingly, the weather was warm enough that the inside coat dried to the just tacky state. I started glassing the bow and the stern back about a foot. THAT was fun with the narrow pinched-in bow and stern shapes. I had to work with a paint brush held with ViseGrips to reach way in there. It ain't gonna be pretty, but only the spiders will see it after the decks go on. I think I'll glass the rest of the inside with seperate pieces.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Joey, unless you plan on bulkheads and hatches, you may want to secure a pulley in each stem end. then, run a continuous rope from the bow (and stern) into the center of the boat. Tie the first, small bundle you put into the boat ends onto this rope and it is easy to stuff & unstuff.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I like your idea. My only problem with that is, with my luck, EVERYTHING I want will be behind 3 other things up under the decks. :( I'm leaning towards bulkheads and hatches------ two big dry boxes combined with two big floatation compartments, no place for snakes to hide, no place for yellow jackets to make a nest, protection from marauding coons and one easy to reach area to clean mud out of (there's always mud to be cleaned)-- pretty good combination.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
islandpiper said:
Joey, make some fold out legs and put a cutting board on deck, and we'll just carry it into camp and use it for a kitchen table. piper

How about this idea? Make the cockpit 7' long and string it up on a couple of trees by the bow and stern lines and jump in and go to sleep-- kayak hammock- kaymock.
Hey, a Swiss army kayak. :mrgreen:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Making progress. The weather has warmed some so I put the first graphite coat on. I'll let it cure and put it in next weekend to test for the bulkhead locations.

100_0838.jpg

The boat has a 20 foot bottom. Bottom looks good from 20 feet- definetly not close up. :roll: