The Swamper- new design | Page 10 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Swamper- new design

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Joey, I like it - a lot. Can you pack it for camping?

Not until I put hatches in her. :mrgreen: I've been paring down my camping gear and think I'll have plenty of room for a 2-3 day trip. As I get older, I seem to be drawn to less "stuff" -- in my camping gear and elsewhere in my life. Think about it-- we can be perfectly content for a week or more with just the stuff we can pack in our relatively small crafts. It DOES help to go camping with someone like piper , seedtick and friend keith, though. :wink:

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
woodchips said:
Very nice job. And I like the accent piece in the bow. Can't wait to here how she feel after your trip.

The accent is actually a bit of stain brushed onto the saturation coat and under the glass. Partly for looks and partly to cover a couple of blemishes from the close quarters bulld. Looks like exotic wood from a few feet away.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I did something neat for the bow and stern grab loops. I used hollow braid rope and ran the ends back inside the core and tapered them so they disappear. Very strong too. I made up a test sample and put my whole weight on it and it didn't budge. Makes a neat, almost seamless loop.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
More things I have learned:

8. Luan is dang hard to build with if you care about the looks of the details of the finished product. Structurally, I found no problems with it. It is maddenly hard to sand out blemishes and minor screwups without going through the outer veneer. My hat is off to you, Chuck, on gettin good, crisp details with luan.

9. Do NOT try to build a boat in winter. At least I won't try it again.

10. Dry epoxy does not equal CURED epoxy.

11. Get twice as many pairs of gloves and cups as you think you'll need.

12. Resist the urge to put on a thick layer of epoxy to maybe cut down on coats. It will sag and run with annoying frequency.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
OK, Steve. Kind of behind in my duties, eh?

100_0915.jpg

100_0914.jpg

100_0916.jpg

100_0917.jpg

Not too bad for a boat pretty much designed on the fly. I LOVE her. Dang good fishing platform and she'll eat up the miles too.

I want to thank everyone for their input on this build. Special thanks to Matt from JEM( design was VERY loosely based on the Laker), Chuck, Tx River Rat, piper, kayak jack,seedtick and keith. Pardon me if I left anyone out. It was a great experience for the most part. Building in winter SUCKS. Luan ply did a bang up job structurally but not aesthetically. Most of the problems with the fine details were , in part, caused by the thin outside veneers of the luan being too thin to sand properly. The NEXT one will be built with the good stuff. But, all in all, I am tickled pink with the outcome.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I'll definitely do that. I need maybe 1 or 2 more trips to really pin it down but I'll take a stab at it.

First, I was surprised, maybe just the least bit disappointed on the speed difference. Realistically, the comfortable cruising speed is maybe less than 1/2 mph faster than the pirogue. Really digging in - maybe 1mph difference. Could be the pirogue is just a pretty dang good cruiser on it's own. Might be the lower seating position in the kayak doesn't favor as hard of a power stroke. The Swamper is no slouch, to be sure-- just maybe expecting more as per the glowing praises of kayaks in general. She's much easier to get moving and stay moving at a good clip, though. I never tested her in any rough water ....YET!

Stability is about equal with the lower seating position. I can actually stand in the cockpit and push off from the bank and then lower myself onto the seat. Seating position is comfortable and I can move my legs to various positions. There's ENOUGH room to make it a good fishing platform, but nothing extra. The pirogue has more room to carry and access more "stuff". A light anchor over the side and a dip with the paddle every now and then maintains boat position.

More to come.

Joey

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Me , Myself and I like the open boats since they will take a lot more , are easy to move around in and since I am in no hurry anymore , my type of boat.

I have always dreamed of a good kayak , I have one , the Pygmy "Coho" and it will be paddled by someone else ( a lot younger ) in the near future along with the stripper pirogue. The other kayak I made is being used by a good friend. Don't get me wrong the Coho ( actually both kayaks ) worked out really good on camping trips and are some speedy boats , they are just a pain ( for me ) to get in and out of.

That leaves me with a light weight pirogue , a really nice canoe .. The Sasquatch 14 x 30 from Matt ( JEM Watercraft ) which has been on a lot of trips.
Then there is the Bayou Skiff which is a sort of over sized pirogue you can toss a motor on. All of them are wide open boats and shallow draft , plus they are comfortable to paddle all day. I can even get out of them without a problem and they will take a ton of stuff , no deck restricting what is put in the boat for a trip or wet exit or entry.

DISCLAIMER.... I have not tried the Bayou Skiff on a trip but will a little while down the road... Looking at it I am sure it will do what I want to use it for.

The way I see it ....
The Canoe for river trips and camping. It will take 2 1/2 foot waves and high winds ( up to 55 MPH ) without a problem , I have been there and done it in it.
The Pirogue for swamps , shallow water since it has been there and done it. 5 days 4 nights across the Okefenokee Swamp for starters. That was to test it after I made it. :D
The Bayou Skiff for personal day ( solo) or extended trips ( solo or with a friend ) up some river with a motor on the back. Camp and then either row , drift an fish , paddle or motor back to the vehicle , no shuttle required.

Boats are like vehicles , everyone has different likes or dislikes and it is best for the individual to follow there likes. After all it is your life and your relaxation and the only way to find out what is right for you is to try / do it. :D

Chuck.....

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I like open boats myself, Chuck. I wanted something that could handle some rough water when it needed to. Lake Verret can kick up 2 foot whitecaps in a hurry and that' can be mighty nerve wracking in a pirogue, right piper? I'm not a speed demon but I do like to see water and scenery slipping by at a certain speed and I like to feel the boat respond to the paddle with a surge of movement. It's kind of like driving behind someone that's going just a LITTLE slower than you want to go. It might only be 1/2 mph hour slower, but it just FEELS a lot slower.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm not suggesting , hinting , or anything else , that you do like I do , that would be stupid on my behalf to even suggest it. All I know is what works for me and posted it for conversation's sake.
I love the lines of the swamper and am sure it is one great boat for your use. If I was younger I would really be taking a good look at it but Father Time has dictated I go a different direction and he is a cruel master.

As I said ....." Boats are like vehicles , everyone has different likes or dislikes and it is best for the individual to follow there likes. After all it is your life and your relaxation and the only way to find out what is right for you is to try / do it."

As far as slow drivers , the next time you are behind me , HONK. :wink:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
oldsparkey said:
I'm not suggesting , hinting , or anything else , that you do like I do , that would be stupid on my behalf to even suggest it. All I know is what works for me and posted it for conversation's sake.

I didn't get any feeling that you were suggesting anything, Chuck. You and I and Ron ( and everybody else on here, for that matter ) are just saying " This is what I like and what works for me. " Ain't a thing wrong with that. :) If everybody had the same boat, it would be a dull world indeed.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Ron was so right- the Swamper has become my favorite boat. :mrgreen: Very windy here today so I took her out on the lake for a run through some rough-ish water. 1 to 1 1/2 ft waves with quite a few whitecaps. Enough to get a little bow slap. I don't know the speed of the wind but it was enough to get a little roaring in the ears and make the spanish moss stand out almost horizontal. I paddled her at all angles to the wind and waves and she took it in stride. No real tendency to weather cock or lee cock. No sudden movements even with some waves coming in from off the beam. I even had a couple of waves crest right under the boat. No problem. Kinda fun for a flat water paddler. :)

My new seat worked great. Seat height at the lowest point is about 2 1/2". Very comfortable height for paddling and probably for fishing too.

Got into some swamp edge situations in a few inches of water and grass. I was able to turn around with a couple of long sweep strokes.

Joey