The Swamper- new design | Page 9 | SouthernPaddler.com

The Swamper- new design

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Do you put it in the building diagonally, with one end raised to the roof and the other on the floor or do you have to do both to close the door? :mrgreen:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Diagonally does it. Have to open the door to walk around it. Makes for interesting glassing. :roll:

We've had an exceptionally cold, wet winter. Normally I would have had a lot of warmish days to finish her out there under the carport. Global warming--HA!

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Beautiful day here so I fitted the decks on the Swamper. Getting fired up again. :D
100_0869.jpg

100_0872.jpg

I put about 3/4" of swoop in the front deck line and about 1/2" in the rear deck line. It doesn't show well in the photos, but it is just enough to give it a little character.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
They're keeping the water level low because they are cleaning the debris out of the bayou in preparation for dredging. They plan on dredging the first six miles now because that is where most of the sediment drops out as it's pumped from the river. The plan is to dredge the whole 100 mile length and take out the weir in Thibodaux. I hope they do that. The old timers tell of catching shrimp and crabs this far up before the weir went in.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Almost short-sleeve weather today. Warmed up the shop and did the fillets on the underside of the deck panels. I tried something different to speed this build along. After the fillets dried to the bubble gum stage, I layed out the off cuts over the bare wood panels and poured the epoxy in a line down the center. I used the roller to press the glass into the still pliable fillet and then wet out the panels. It actually was easier than I though it would be. I mostly let the roller do the work and slowed the strokes down to allow the epoxy to seep into the glass. The light colored areas are glare- the glass is well saturated.

100_0873.jpg

100_0874.jpg

I'm letting the shop cool down slowly to minimize any outgassing of the wood. I figure I saved myself a week or more of waiting for the fillets to dry, sanding them, putting on a saturation coat, letting it dry and THEN applying the glass. We'll see.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
That's why I was letting the shop cool down slowly- little or no outgassing. Worked great. No excess bubbles and everything looks like it's stuck down tight.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Good weather :D . There's a big yellow ball in the sky and everything is so BRIGHT! :shock: I set up the kayak under the carport and glued down the decks. Everything fit pretty well. I found a new use for all those little pieces of rope that are not good enough to use but too good to throw away. Worked pretty good. You snug them down tight about 2" below where they need to be. When you push them in place they wedge pretty tight and make an excellent clamp. Friction holds them in place and they don't move.
100_0881.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
She's DONE! Finally got her in the water. Very easy to get up to speed and very easy to keep there. She turns with sweep strokes pretty well but likes to go straight better. The cockpit is a cinch to get into and the front deck is just long enough to prevent paddle drips.

100_0902.jpg

100_0901.jpg

And my favorite shot.

100_0900.jpg

I'll be putting some miles on her this weekend, for sure.

Almost forgot.

Specs: length 15'9" ----- bottom width 22" -------- max width 26.5" -------- cockpit 18.5" x 38" ---- weight 44 lbs

Joey